We can't really complain: reviewers were very kind to us. So consistently kind, in fact, that we tend to think Mellel itself had something to do with this kindness.
Following is a list of reviews in magazines and over the net. 75 reviews here, with 72 reviews positive. Not too shabby, we think.
- March/April 2011: MacUp in Germany reviewed Mellel. The review is not online, but they gave us four stars (our of five, we think). For past reviews of Mellel in this magazine, see Here.
- Some nice words from Patrick Jost on his blog. It's not a review, just a recommendation. We tend to agree(!).
- Macworld published a very favourable review of Mellel (4 out of 5 mice, you can also get the PDF and compare with an earlier review on this page). The reviewer, William Porter, praise Mellel's auto-title tools and footnotes, language and full screen mode (and, of course, the price) but not statisfied with the lack of track-changes, macro and layout options, also commenting that Mellel is "not especially intuitive" (where have we heard that before?).
- TechTrader review kind of bashed Mellel. You can read it here. We did not like this, of course, and thought the reviewer got many things wrong... but we're not exactly objective. Read and make up your own mind. (December 2008)
- MacUser UK published a favourable review of Mellel (4 Mice out of 5). The review, written by Tom Gorham, makes an interesting read. Gorham "gets" Mellel and points to point of strengh and weakness in it. He concludes: "Mellel 2.5 isn't going to replace Word in business environments, but it's clearly better value. And if you work with long, technical documents, Mellel is something approaching a must-have" (September 2008)
- The German MacGadget compared (in German) Mellel with one of our worthy competitors. Aided by our slim-to-none command of German we only understood the praise, but totally missed the criticisms, which is a good thing for our peace and piece of mind.
- Marius Masalar from MacApper wrote a rather favourable review of Mellel, summing up: "Mellel truly is an ambitious and competent word processor, and its nimble operation and spartan interface may appeal to those looking for an efficient writing environment with bells and whistles that are present without being distracting." but stating that for the time being he is not ready to switch to Mellel as his primary word processor. (August 2008)
- Silicon Summit User Group reviewed Mellel (PDF, will open in a new window, or click here to go to the PDF online) favourably, summing their review: "You get a lot of bang for the buck" (but they did not like Mellel not being able to wrap text around images... (March 2008)
- An interesting and thoughtful review of Mellel by Mark Stoneman in ATPM. There are some interesting comments too. The final judgement: Good (January 2008)
- A nice blog entry about Mellel in Directions in New Media. The writer also likes other products, but we would not hold this againt him (September, 2007).
- MacCompanion's April issue is a special writer's edition issue, with a lot of stuff about writing, word processing (and other things too). There's also a very interesting review of Mellel, with lots to be proud about and lots to think about too. You can read it here. Our mark is 3.5 stars out of 5.
- A very nice review of Mellel was published on Mac360 by Carol Mary Miller .There is also a very lively and interesting discussion of Mellel's abilities and maturity as a real-world replacement for MS Word.
- A new site, MacResearchSW wishing to be a source for Academic Software on the Mac reviewed Mellel and thought it is stable, with great outline/auto-numbering features and produces visually consistent documents through the use of styles (although support for equations and getting used to the graphic user interface are areas where it can be improved. We'll take that as a big "Yes" with a small "but."
- MaUsE, Macintosh Users East group, took a peak at Mellel and liked it... And also wrote about it in their January issue. (January 25, 2007)
- A nice review of Mellel at Mac.pocket.at (in German). Writing and design are easy with Mellel (we knew that, but it's still nice to hear...) (January 19, 2007).
- This is not exactly a review, but still: Mac Life choose Mellel's as one of the 5 coolest icons for Mac OS X. Pretty amazing, don't you think? The article only appears in the printed edition, by the way (January, 2007).
- Not exactly a magazine, but still good to know: Mark McElroy named Mellel as one of the 101 reasons to use a Mac (over you-know-who). There are other, unnice word processors mentioned also, but we pretend not to see them at all! (November, 2006).
- AcademHacK - Tech Tools for Academics lists its top ten tools for academics and places Mellel as its number one tool: "Mellel is near perfectly made, including the well written instruction manual, the tutorial, and the forum to help make the transition easy" (November, 2006).
- MacAddict (July 2006 issue) chose Mellel as the Best "Think Different" alternative to MS Word. The conclusion: "overall, Mellel doesn't just give Word a run for its moneyin many ways, it's simply better... Get it if you want a top-notch word processor and don't absolutely need one of Word's unique features. The runner-up, by the way, was NWE, based mainly on its Find and Replace options. Good thing that Mellel 2.1 is coming out soon, as this also will fade as an advantage (June 2006).
- "I have used Mellel II for a couple of weeks now and I can’t say that I have missed Word at all, nor have I found any difficulties in using Mellel on a day to day basis" Writes Chris in SurfBits. A very nice review. See the full review here. (March 29, 2006)
- "There's life after Word" Claims Nana, one of Israel's more popular Interenet portals. The writer, Ran Yaniv Hartstein sums up: "Mellel is the best word processor for Mac OS X and in my opinion, based on years of using MS Word, it's also the best word processor for writing in Hebrew on all platforms." (Hebrew) (Jan. 20, 2006)
- SurfBits published a nice review of Mellel. Tim of SurfBits states that Mellel is "Giving MS Word the Boot!" and sums his review: "Mellel has allowed me to delete Word of my Mac, give it a try for yourself and see if you may have waited for Word to open for the last time." (Nov. 30, 2005)
- Mac360 published a very nice review of Mellel. Carol Mary Miller summs up: "Remember, it’s ‘words’ for word processor. If you write, try Mellel. $49 is a nominal fee for what is becoming a stellar application" (Nov. 15, 2005)
- The Israeli Magazine Gadget has a nice review of Mellel (in Hebrew). The verdict: The best word processor for speakers of Hebrew. Nice. (November 11, 2005)
- The author Daniel Poulin (Canada) wrote a favourable review of Mellel here (French) (November 1, 2005)
- .Net magazine (UK) published a very favourable review of Mellel, naming it a "Best Buy" and giving it five stars (out of five). It's final verdict: "A cheap, powerful, multilingual and amazingly fast Word alternative" (September 16, 2005)
- David Hewson, an author, wrote about Mellel in the Sunday Times (UK) describing it as "fast, powerful and, unlike Word, easily handles the structure of long, complex documents, such as books and academic theses". A more detailed review of the options is offered in his blog. (June 12, 2005)
- Want to compare Mellel with lemons? Well, if you think that our comparison wasn't fair, you might want to take a look at this one (in German). Mellel comes on top. Now, all we have to do is keep it this way. (June, 2005)
- Ralf Schmid, writing for the journal of his ad agency here. It requires you to handle the delicate task of reading German. If not, do the silly thing and put your trust in us that it's a favourable review and just enjoy the neat site design. (June, 2005)
- Andy Benedek, writing for Printing World, had this to say about Mellel: "All this pigeon-holes Mellel as a writer's word processor. Where MS Word impedes, Mellel facilitates. Its foreign language capabilities are exceptional, but do not intrude. It's interface is simple and well thought out making the task of getting words out of one's head and on to the page so much easier." (June, 2005)
- Mac-Delta-C from Germany reviewed Mellel (German) and concludes, sensibly enough: "Bottom line: Mellel is a mature, fast and efficient word processor... in everyday use, Mellel proves an efficient tool for work on text from a letter to a thesis" (April, 2005)
- The British iCreate (English) reviewed Mellel (not available on-line ang gave it an 85 mark (out of a 100, we guess). A- Right on! (April, 2005)
- The German MacLife reviewed Mellel, amongst a host of other word processors and text tools (not available online) and concluded that Mellel is only fit for small documents. Oddly enough, MacLife reviewed Mellel two years earlier and found it then worth 5.5/6 stars. Apparently, we've been slipping. (March, 2005)
- Allan Hoffman from The Star Ledjer (English) claims that Microsoft Word is losing its appeal. The alternative, at least for Hoffman, is Mellel which is "quick, simple, and free of the Word quirks I came to loathe." (February, 2005)
- In it's March issue Macworld reviews Mellel (Here, English) and gives it 3 stars, while giving another application 4 mice. Well, we know that they actually meant it the other way around but got confused... (February 3, 2005)
- Bangkok Post (English) published a review of Mellel, essentially following the one in Macsimum News, but with special reference to some other options. (January, 2005)
- Macsimum News (English) published a review of Mellel. Dennis Sellers calls Mellel in the review "an underappreciated Mac gem" and gives it 9/10 mark. He concludes by saying that Mellel is "what the word processing component of AppleWorks should be like today" (December, 2004)
- LISA, The globalization Insider (English) published an interview with Ori Redler from RedleX titled "Why Esperanto and Syriac?" The interview, by Arle Lommel, discusses problems and attitudes toward localising applications and the specific problems of dealing with some of the less travelled languages (December, 2004)
- MacGeneration (French) selected Mellel as one of the finalists (20 out of 160) in its developer's Trophées MacGeneration. We did not win the Trophy at the end (La société AssistiveWare got the price in our category. (Sounds like a nice utility, so we're giving it a bit of free advertising) (September, 2004).
- Mac companion (English) reviews Mellel and gives it rating of 5 out of 5. (May, 2004)
- Fran Iglesias from Macintec (Spanish) reviews Mellel and reaches a clear verdict: "Mellel is my preferred word processor. It is the first word processor I've tested that invites me to write and facilitates me doing my work." (Abril 23, 2004)
- Mookie Kong reviews several word processors for Mac OS X, including a review of Mellel. His personal preferences of for one of Mellel's competitors, but the review is fair and worth reading. (April, 2004)
- Mac Generation reported about Mellel 1.7. Not exactly a review, but we loved the title: Mellel toujours mieux (Mellel, always better).
- AvosMac (French) published a very positive review of Mellel in its no. 36 issue (January, 2003). The review appears only in print.
- Klokhuis Magazine (Holland) published a very positive review of Mellel. Klokhuis Magazine is sent to over 3,000 Mac User Group in the Netherlands (December 2003).
- Gene Steinberg of Mac Night Owl names Mellel one of the Best Mac Software in his Christmas shopping list (December 21, 2003)
- John Kool from MacFreak reviews Mellel and give it a 4.5 out of 5 Macs. Way Kool (Dutch, November, 2003)
- MacFormat selects Mellel as the "Editor's Choice" in its November issue (Issue 136, October 25, 2003). The final verdict is: Mellel is everything that shareware ought to be: it's well written, and has a price tag that will scare the commercial developers... Mellel looks superb and works like a dream. You'll just feel compelled to sit and write. For the price, it's simply hard to beat.
- Mellel was favourably reviewed by Frédéric Lagrange in Mac Generation (French, October 14, 2003)
- MacLegal reviewed Mellel favourably (October 9, 2003)
- PCtoMac reviewed Mellel favourably (October 4, 2003)
- COM (Serbian) reviewed Mellel (September, 2003)
- Macintec (Spanish) reviewed Mellel (September 28, 2003)
- MacRadio interviewed Ori Redler from RedleX about Mellel (August 29, 2003)
- Cuk.ch from Switzerland (French) reviewed Mellel favourably (July 22, 2003).
- Mellel mentioned by SVM-Mac (French) as another contender in "The word processors battle" (July 16, 2003)
- Mellel (shortly) reviewed in Gene Steinberg's Mac Night Owl (July 12, 2003)
- MacFan (Netherlands) gives Mellel 4 out of 5 Macs (article in print version only) (July, 2003)
- The Northern Spy on Mellel and other word processors (June, 2003)
- Surf-Bit on Mellel as possible MS Word replacement (May 15, 2003)
- An interesting entry on William Porter's Polytrope blog about word processors in general, with a long section on Mellel (May 08, 2003)
- Gene Steinberg's Mac Night Owl (May 10, 2003)
- Mac Life (German) (May, 2003) 5.5 (out of 6)
- Mellel mentioned by Patrick Moutal (French) in Mac-Moutal's Mac Page (April, 2003)
- Mystica.rr (April, 2003) 4.5 Apples (out of 5)
- Mac Bidouille (French) (April, 2003)
- Faq-Mac (Spanish) (April, 2003)
- Mac Génération (French) (April, 2003)
- MacUp (German) (March, 2003)
- Washington Times (March 18, 2003)
- c't Magazin (German) (March, 2003)
- Mac Génération (French) (March 8, 2003)
- Hagalil (German) (March 3, 2003)
- c't Magazin (German) (February 1, 2003)
- Mac Science on Mellel (January 20, 2003)
- Charles Moore review of Mellel (November 8, 2002)