Release Notes for Mellel
Details about Mellel 3.4.2
Bug fixes, Mellel for Mac (Mac OS)
- Fixed a bug in 3.4.1 that caused Mellel to save files without their Style set, causing all sorts of issues, including crashes when inserting footnotes/endnotes.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to fail to open .mell files of certain vintages and to convert such files into an un-openable .mellel files. Also made changes so that such un-openable files produced by this bug will be opened and corrected.
Details about Mellel 3.4.1
Bug Fixes, Mellel for iPad (iOS)
- Fixed a bug that caused the keyboard correction hi-lighting to sometimes appear misaligned with the text.
- Updated Help, mainly with better document sharing and synching instructions.
- Fixed a few of bugs that caused Mellel to crash under certain circumstances.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when selecting multiple table cells.
Bug Fixes, Mellel for Mac (Mac OS)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail to launch in 64 bit mode on Mac OS 10.6.x.
- Fixed a bug that caused Hyphenation not work.
- Fixed an issue that caused Arrow keys movements to behave incorrectly sometimes when editing annotations.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to fail to open certain older .mell files.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash while creating a scanning for a Bibliography.
- Restored ability to drag and drop Find-Sets from the Find-Set dialogue to the Finder.
- Fixed problems with German, Spanish and Hebrew localisation, updated English and German help files.
- Fixed a bug that caused Check Spelling via the Spelling panel not to function.
- Fixed some truncated labels in the Note streams dropping sheet.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash with some font configurations.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash after inserting a mention while editing a Page style.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash when typing using an input method inside a comment.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash after editing an inline (Auto-title, Citation, Hyperlink) in its dialogue, when track-changes was on.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes crash when typing using an input method (Japanese, Chinese, etc.)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to open certain older files slightly incorrectly and then produce an un-openable file after saving.
- Added an ability to open and fix files that were corrupted by the previous bug.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to render the st ligature in normal text with some fonts.
- Fixed an issue that caused bad fit with document view size, when opening the first document after launching, and causing jerky document view scaling when resizing the document window.
Details About Mellel 3.4.0
- Added option to export outline to PDF
- Added option to export annotations to PDF
- Language handling improvments
- "None" language defines spelling dictionary as "automatic by language"
- Blocking option to set spelling dictionary and other settings to the "none" language
- Default languge is "none", keyboard synchronisation is off by default
- Ignoring language info when pasting rtf and html, using the language currently used in the document text
- Added preferences option to allow ignoring language settings in imported rtf documents
- Mellel is now 64/32 bit universal binary, including quick look and spotlight plug-ins
- Improved interaction for resizing images using an eight handle system.
- Improved handling and detection of clicks outside pages for better selection behaviour
- Revised and improved "Scroll to show" (Scrolling done when searching and navigating in the document)
- Revised and improved the way pages are positioned on the document view
- Removed references to Lucida Grande in UI, replaced with Helvetica Neue
- Adjusted design of document and find set windows to suite Yosemite
- Improved font substitution (for characters not supported by selected font), considers boldness of font etc.
- Improved missing font substitution, Mellel will try to match the face (bold, italic etc) of the substitute font with the face of the original font
- Renamed "Copy/Paste Special" menu items to include the word "Copy" or "Paste" for better clarity and to allow assigning keyboard shortcuts to them
- Uniform (regardless of page scaling) 1 point wide caret
- Improved rendering of letters+combining marks (accents) for non-Opentype fonts
- Improved Find Set interaction
- Enabled stopping (with no consequences) a find set while applying it
- Smooth progress animation while applying a find set
- Improved performance
- When deleting a comment while editing, selection is moved to the text location that the comment is marking instead of just stopping the editor
- Fixed an issue where typing a number with a thousands separator in the page number field of "go to page" dialog would cause the program to go to page 1
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail to match attributes when making searches involving color attributes.
- Re-Enabled editing marker names in document setup sheet
- Fixed a bug that caused selection to stop responding when dismissing a comment while editing it.
- Fixed issues with navigating and finding content inside comments that are applied to the beginning of the text
- Fixed an issue that caused the page style indicator not to be updated after applying a page style
- Correctly adjusting cursor when moving over the ruler
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to produce faulty OPML when choosing the "export content as notes"
- Fixed an issue where default printer selection would not apply on new documents.
- Added language to the attribute description in replace styles.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to take extremely long time to zoom in when pressing command + on certain documents.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to hang and show the spinning cursor when going over the "Comment" submenu in the edit menu with certain documents.
- Fixed a bug that caused single and double quotes to be inserted twice when using typographer quotes in conjunction with keyboard layoutes that produce single and double quotes using a "dead key" (for example U.S. International - PC)
Details about Mellel 3.3.8
- Resolved a problem that caused artifacts to appear when working with longer documents at zoom levels other than 100%.
- Fixed a bug that cause Mellel to crash when pressing the arrow keys in the find field under some very specific circumstances.
- Fixed a bug that caused the iCloud menu to appear empty sometimes.
- Fixes an issue that caused cashes when receiving updates from iCloud.
- Fixed some minor memory leaks.
- Fixed a bug that caused crashes sometimes with documents containing many citations.
DETAILS ABOUT MELLEL 3.3.7
- Fixed a few memory leaks.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel not to apply size selected in the main font size popup (or the Other diglugue) if the size was the same as the size of text at the beginning of the selection.
- Fixed an issue where mellel would sometimes crash when clicking parts of the text after editing a Cross reference and possibly other elements such as citations, hyperlinks and so on.
- Fixed an issue which would cause bibliography scanning to fail with documents containing oddly formatted XML data for citations.
- Fixed a bug that would cause Mellel to crash sometimes (very rarely) when editing documents containing citations.
- Fixed a bug that may have caused Mellel to crash when moving the cursor using the arrow key under some rare circumstances.
- Corrected "Copy X attributes" menu localisation in Spanish.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Mellel from copying text when viewing a document in the "Versions" browser.
- Fixed some minor issues causing some Console output when opening the page style editor and editing a header/footer.
Details about Mellel 3.3.6
- Added support for Traditional Chinese DOS encoding. This fixes an issue that caused some styled Chinese text to become garbled when pasting from scrivener
- Fixes an issue which caused a mysterious "systemParStyle" paragraph style to appear in the paragraph style list after setting the style to a paragraph containing a citation or hyperlink
- Fixes an issue that caused crashes and all sorts of odd behaviour when editing and saving documents that contained empty citations and hyperlinks
- Fixed an issue that would cause crashes and other misbehaviour when editing around inlines that contained track changes while the annotations pane was open
Details about Mellel 3.3.5
- When opening the character style editor window, the currently selected variation (if applicable) is selected, instead of the base variation
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to sometimes fail to export or copy to rtf with texts/documents containing images
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when performing Replace All of "any"->"found expression"+attributes, with documents containing hyperlinks. Possibly solving other issues with editing and modifying hyperlinks
- Replace All stays put: original selection is maintained when performing Replace All, instead of moving to the location of the last replacement
- Fixed issues where a lot of redundant Undo actions were registered when switching between the Find and Replace strip and the document.
- Fixed an issue with Undo/Redo in the Find and Replace fields being blocked after switching out of Mellel or out of the Find field
- Fixed an issue that caused fonts attributes not to be preserved when correcting text using Grammarian
- Editing variable names in the Document Setup dropping sheet is now blocked.
- Fixed an issue that caused all sorts of inconsistencies in the UI regarding the Character Attributes of inlines (citations, hyperlinks, auto-titles, etc) after making changes "inside" via the editor or via Find and Replace.
Details about Mellel 3.3.3
- Recent fonts displayed in the Font menu (Character palette).
- RTF Export: Added an option to control the resolution of converted vector images when exporting to RTF
- Footnotes and Endnotes: Added format + Space to note symbol formats selection
- Auto-title improvement: Structure levels without a name (empty) are not displayed in the Insert Auto-title menu or the Auto-title palette
- Auto-title improvement: Icons for structure and tag levels, separator between structure and tag levels, and tag levels names displayed in blue - all in the Auto-title palette
- Sign up dialogue (App store users)
- Fixed an issue where pasting as plain text text containing umlauts and other non-spacing marks copied from a PDF would produce bad positioning of the non spacing marks
- Fixed a bug that prevented Mellel from finding "reference" elements in the text
- Drawing the Tab well disabled when window is not frontmost
- Drawing ruler view as enabled when on the edit paragraph style window
- Fixed an issue that allowed pasting text containing footnotes/endnotes into headers/footers which resulted in documents that did not open
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused temporary garbled rendering of tables in headers/footers
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to hang sometimes when exporting documents containing many large pdf/pict images to rtf
- RTF import, added support for chariest 134 (code page 936 - Simplified Chinese)
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused garbled output when pasting styles Chinese text
- Reduced height of bibliography style mapping window to allow fitting on smaller screens, return as shortcut for "Save" in the bibliography style mapping window
- Fixed an issue where revision marks (vertical bars next to text) were not displayed for changes immediately after turning on track changes
- Fixed a bug that caused cross-references deleted under track-changes to become undeleted when re-opening the containing document.
Details about Mellel 3.3.2
Bug fixes and enhancements:
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to produce inoperable documents when importing RTF documents containing track-changes insertions/deletions inside comments.
- (13161) PICT and PDF images are converted to 600DPI bitmaps when exporting to RTF. Correctly exporting the image vertical positioning. This improves rtf export of documents with MathType/MathMagic equations.
- (13131) Fixed a bug that caused the "lookup in dictionary" item to be missing from the context menu when right-clicking a word inside a footnote/endnote.
- (13250) Fixed a bug that prevented making selections with the mouse to inlines (citations, hyperlinks) inside tables.
- (13129) Fixed some issues that could have caused Mellel to crash sometimes while saving (or auto-saving).
- (13160) Correctly removing pipe delimiter in inserted citations.
- (13209) Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented showing a context menu when right clicking text in a comment.
- (13208) Fixed a bug that prevented context menu from being displayed when right-clicking a floating image.
- (13210) Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when inspecting an IAP info in the store window (Lite version).
- (13200) Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when right clicking a hyperlink in certain circumstances.
- (13192) Find pane expanded by default.
- Handling of no open library in bookends
- (13108) Fixed a bug that caused Mellel fail to open RTF files produced by Ulysses.
- (13124) Fixed an issue that caused the text of the RegEx editor field to disappear temporarily after deleting parts of it.
- (13084) Changed default value for "Go To Page" dialog. When showing for the first time, the current page is used as the value, for subsequent times, the last value (if valid) is used.
Details about Mellel 3.3.1
Bug fixes and enhancements:
- (12871) Fixed an issue that caused the palettes to be positioned at the wrong place when connecting an external monitor while in full screen mode.
- (13061) Fixed wrong name with Invoice template.
- Fixed bug that caused Mellel Lite to show on the App Store as supporting 10.5.
- Fixed an issue that caused the selection to misbehave and become slow and unresponsive when editing a comment while the Statistics palette is open.
- Updated Deutsch (reformiert) hyphenation dictionary.
- Fixed an issue that caused mellel to crash, and to other odd things to happen when pasting RTF text.
- (13032) Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to clip some of the content at the margin, with documents containing multiple page ranges with multiple settings for margins.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when changing the Auto-title setup to a setup containing a smaller number of Auto-title streams (therefore deleting the streams) with documents containing Cross References to the deleted Auto titles.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash or behave erratically when invoking "Insert bookmark" and then pressing "Cancel" in the Edit Bookmark dialogue.
- (12868) Comments now draw background colour of text, if such colour is set.
- Fixed issues with adjusting the character palette after making character attribute changes to text in comments.
- (12874) Fixed an issue that caused Mellel not to detect bold and italics with cocoa rtf files (TextEdit, Scrivener, etc.)
- (12946) Default colour for floating image frame is now black instead of white.
- Fixed Spelling of "Parentheses" factory find action name (Parentheses->Parentheses)
- (13005) Fixed a bug that enabled double clicking mentions to edit them and that caused all sorts of strange behaviour when trying to edit a mention by "soft clicking" it or option clicking it.
- (13017) Command+F now always focuses on the find field. Command+J (scroll to show selection) will now close the find pane and focus on the document (and scroll to the selection, of course)
- (13018) Restored a regression with the ability to double click on note symbol to jump to the note reference.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when invoking the About box before the Splash screen is dismissed, and clicking inside.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when pasting text containing comments from Scrivner.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash when opening rtfd documents via Import->RTF.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when saving and editing imported rtf documents containing empty comments.
- Fixed a bug that caused Edit -> Comment -> Delete comments in selection to sometimes fail.
Details About Mellel 3.3
- New background for annotations pane
- Find Strip in document window
- Revised Find Set window
- Printing of the annotation pane (if visible while printing)
- Automatic crash reporting
- Added small caps mapping to bibliography setup
- Built in support and beta report forms
- Added “insert hyperlink” to contextual menu
- Smarter conversion of text to auto title when creating an auto title from a selection: if the format specifies a character style (or an associated character style to the paragraph style) then the style is applied on the text by mapping the text attributes to the variations in the style (unless the format also specifies a style variation in which case the variation is applied on the whole text). When the format doesn’t specify a style, the styling inside the text is preserved.
- Drawing parts of the document and find set windows mode dimmed and subdued when not the main window. Including: Document and Find set bottom bar area, find strip controls, ruler, document page shadow and style well
- Synchronising between landscape setting in page setup and the setting in the doc. When opening the dialog, the setting is set according to the first page range. When applying, the setting is applied on all page ranges (if changed)
- Preferences option to control showing the user name and date in annotation bubble. Concentrated bubble options in preferences document setup
- Bubble buttons are not normally drawn, shown when mouse is over the bubble.
- More options for changing a note's stream:
- While editing a note via the context menu "Note Stream" Submenu
- While editing a note via Insert->Note->Name of stream
- While the note reference is selected by choosing Insert->Note->Name of stream.
- Allowing overriding "Hebrew Quotes fix" by pressing control and typing single or double quotes.
- When inserting a table, default direction for the table comes from the current paragraph direction and not the last used direction.
- Simplified and improved rendering of auto title titles in mentions, TOC and xref. Variations in the title are mapped to the corresponding variations in the output style except for base which is mapped to the variation specified in the format element. Overrides from the format element are then applied on the resulting string.
- (12770) Keyboard shortcut for opening/closing the annotations pane (cmd+option+O)
- Added “Forgot Code” button to Registration Code window
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when dealing with text wrapping around images in certain narrow margin situations. Slightly better logging when dealing with the email service
- Changed rendering of “dangling mentions”, drawing a thing space instead of <#???#> and marking it with a red frame on screen
- Fixed an issue where changes in the user hyphenation dictionary wouldn't be shown inside tables after pressing "Refresh open documents"
- Allowing to search for citations, auto titles and hyperlinks inside "all"
- Fixed a bug that caused the last letter to be chopped off of auto titles when approving a track changes modification applied to them
- Revealing the correct bubble page when making document text selection involving TC elements or comments
- Fixed a problem that caused bad display of insert mention and insert element popups in the header/footer editing overlay under Mavericks
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to hang and crash sometimes when rendering documents with very long footnotes whose “may split” setting is not “anywhere”.
- Fixed an issue where some text in headers and footers of imported RTF document would be hidden.
- Fixes an issue where some headers and footers of imported rtf documents would not be imported at all.
- Fixed an issue that caused attribute changes (switching bold, italic, etc on or off), to be ignored if a tracked changes (deletion/insertion) happens to start at the same location when exporting RTF.
- Hebrew quotes fix now works in the find strip fields
- Improved rtf font matching method. Resolves many issues in importing and pasting styled text from other applications
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to hang when choosing “save” or “Save as” with new documents when “system auto-save” is enabled
- Added “Language” submenu in the context menu.
- Opml export panel: fixed inlude->include
- Improved font matching for cocoa rtf. Improves opening and pasting from other rich text Cocoa applications
Details about Mellel 3.2.7
- Fixed issues where the Spotlight plug-in would crash when trying to index mellel template files.
- Fixed an issue that caused default maker name to not be applied on new documents.
- Added support for small caps in formatted citations and bibliographies.
- Fixed an issue that caused live bibliography not to function correctly with Bookends 12.0.6.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when scanning documents containing empty citations where the format specifies that the citations need to be enclosed.
- Fixed an issue where smart quotes would not function on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) using the Hebrew keyboard layout.
- Automatically direct Hebrew keyboard layout Geresh and Gershaim to single or double quotes on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).
Details about Mellel 3.2.6
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) when clicking the associated input method popup menu in the Preferences, when certain input methods are present
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) after closing some of the dialogue boxes (for example, Insert Cross Reference)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to crash on launch on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) when certain Keyboard Layouts are present
Details about Mellel 3.2.5
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to crash upon launch when encountering damaged style sets in the application support folder.
- Fixed a problem that caused screen artefacts and memory leak (and crashes) with OS X 10.6 and general screen artefacts, especially on retina displays.
Details about Mellel 3.2.4
- Fixed an issue which sometimes prevented the default language from being applied on blank documents. This bug also caused the "none" language to appear twice in the menu
- Fixed an issue which caused the "Document Setup" background colour not to appear on documents created from factory templates
- Fixed issues which caused some factory template to fail to open with some localisations
- Template browser. Default width of split is not correctly calculated, preventing the truncation of some items
- Fixed an issue that caused paste and drag from Google Chrome to be accepted only as plain text, causing stuff like hyperlinks to become plain text and not be clickable
- Added support for /nosupersub keyword in citation rtf.
Details about Mellel 3.2.3
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail opening non-Mellel documents under Leopard (rtf, doc, opml, etc).
- Fixed an issue that caused the app to crash when exporting to PDF when the document contained malformed hyperlinks.
Details about Mellel 3.2.2
- Fixed a bug which prevented opening some older files (.mell files)
Details about Mellel 3.2.1
- Fixed compatibility issues with Leopard (10.5)
- Restored support for automatic baseline shift adjustment for MathType equations
- Smarter application of default language when creating a new document. The default language is not applied when null or when the character style has a language defined in the selected variation
- When applying a style set on an empty document, the language of the default character style is applied on the text
- When applying character attribute changes on an empty document the applied attributes are actually saved in the document and not discarded
- Properly drawing folder names in template browser by truncating when needed
Details about Mellel 3.2
- Improved support for TextExpander auto-capitalisation
- Improved input methods support allowing for more modern features including Mountain Lion's "iOS style" accented characters insertion (holding a key and then choosing from an accent list)
- Completed retina support
- Added icons to "insert element" popups (find, replace) in the find panel
- Added auto title regex element
- Document defaults. You can now set the default zoom and spread mode in the preferences, overriding the setting in the template.
- Rating prompt (Mac app store only)
- Default template changes
- You can now assign the default template in the templates browser
- Setting a default template in the templates browser will also automatically set the new document preference to "Open template". Unchecking the default template will restore the option to opening the template browser when opening a new document.
- Added the "Default template for import" option to the preferences. Allows setting a template for use when importing document from rtf, plain text etc
- Checking the "make default" checkbox in the "Save as Template" sheet will also automatically set the option to open new documents from the default template and not show the template browser.
- Allows to link to a web page, email or a local file on the disk
- Import and export from RTF
- PDF export produces live, clickable hyperlinks
- Added options for finding within hyperlinks and finding hyperlinks in the find panel.
- Language changes
- Language is now a part of the character style
- Each variation can have its own language
- You can choose languages "ad hoc" (in the palette) and this will not be shown as an override (that is, the style name will not show '+' when the language has been overridden)
- When applying a style or variation, language overrides are removed from the text but only if the language is not "none"
- Keyboard shortcuts for cycling in the preferred languages and toggling the last two languages.
- Default language is now applied on blank templates.
- Improved language/keyboard synchronization mechanism
- You can assign a keyboard to more then one language
- When you choose a language, Mellel will switch automatically to the assigned keyboard for that language, if there is no such keyboard, Mellel will allow typing using the current keyboard in that language even if that keyboard is assigned to another language.
- When changing the keyboard and typing, Mellel will automatically switch to the last language that was used with that keyboard.
- Language is now a part of the character style
- Fixed an issue where the insertion point would disappear when positioned right next to a wrapable inline image
- Restored support for math magic baseline info in image pastes
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused incorrect representation of lists in plain text export and copy
- Notes are now filtered from the text when pasting a text containing notes into a note.
- Corrected issues with citations in the upcoming Bookends version
- Fixed a bug that caused a very crash while typing.
- Updated factory templates
- Fixed an issue that caused italic and bold not to show up when importing certain RTF documents (for example, Nisus)
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping a citation over another citation would not remove the citation from the original location but leave it there causing the move to become a copy.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash sometimes (rarely) when saving a document
- Work around a system problem that caused faint lines to appear near the top and bottom of a palette tab after dragging the tab
Details about Mellel 3.1.3
Bug fixes with 3.1.3
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail opening older .mell files
- Fixed bug that caused long names to become truncated in the template/recent document browser
Details about Mellel 3.0.3
Bug fixes with Mellel 3.1
- Fixed a problem that would emit invalid codes when registering.
Details about Mellel 3.0.2
Bug fixes with Mellel 3.0.2
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to freeze sometimes when entering the version browser.
- Fixed a problem that casued some characters in the final citation to appear doubled after a bibliography scan.
- Palettes are now grouped in a single heap when presented on smaller screens (i.e macbook air 11'')
- Consolidated Help menu links
- Fixed an issue that caused double clicking or clicking the first bookmark in the outline view not to jump to the bookmark location or open it for editing like it does when clicking/double clicking the other bookmarks
- Fixed a problem that caused the align and direction buttons to present in the wrong place when the selection was a floating image
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to ignore editing of citations if the editing including deleting the whole temp citation text
- Retina images for tab well and style well
- Fixed a problem that caused "verify citations" scans with document containing empty citations to corrupt the citations by offsetting each citation to the next citation location.
- Changed checkbox "Paragraph Ruler" to "Ruler" in Preferences/Show Options/General
- restored command+Y as switch to reference database shortcut
- Updated application icon
- Fixes an issue that caused the blinking insertion point to appear in more then one window under certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue that caused a long pause after dragging citations from bookends while live bibliography was on.
- Fixed an issue that caused the document view to stick to the left when moving the window from screen to screen.
- Fixed a problem that casued the QuickLook plug in to fail showing pre 3.0 files
- Fixed a problem that caused the spotlight importer to malfunction under Mountain Lion
Details about Mellel 3.0.1
Bug fixes with Mellel 3.0.1
- Fixed a bug that caused the save as template function to fail on Leopard
- Fixed a bug that caused the Spotlight and QuickLook plug-ins to malfunction
- Fixed an issue that caused dragging the end margin to be limited in an incorrect way when the start margin was non zero.
- Enabled the bookends feature of converting parenthesis to brackets by not stripping single square brackets at a beginning of a citation
- Fixed an issue that prevented the Mac App Store version of Mellel to communicate with the Mac App Store version of Bookends
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to fail to recognize dictating "New Line" with Mountain Lion's dictation function.
- Fixed a bug that disabled dragging tab stops in the ruler in Leopard
- Fixed all sorts of issues with switching in and out and between document in Lion's full screen among these, fixed an issue that caused the palette spacer to appear even though palettes were hidden when switching to another app and then back to Mellel (in full screen mode)
- Tab well now showing the correct tooltip for each tab
- Fixed an issue that disabled scrolling by dragging the scroll elevator sometimes (Lion)
- Fixed an issue that caused the version browser (Lion) to show black windows with the caption "unable to load version" for all past version of the document.
- Updated hyphenation dictionaries
- Updated some Japanese xibs
Details about Mellel 3.0
- Bibliography Changes
- Live bibliography
- When live bibliography is enabled, citations are automatically (and silently) verified, formatted to final form and a bibliography is generated every time a citation is added/removed or changed
- The "Verify Citations" button in the bibliography palette indicates if there are any unverified citations in the document
- "Verify Citation" button in citation edit panel (available regardless of live bibliography) allows resolving an individual citation.
- Invalid citations are marked in the text
- Live bibliography
- Autosave and versions (on Lion). Option to choose autosaving method on preferences
- Re-Designed Full Screen mode for Snow-Leopard and Leopard
- Document maintains view mode (Mellel/Compact) while in full screen mode
- Options to show/hide the ruler and bottom bar in full screen mode
- Palettes can be shown and used while in full screen
- All other windows (Find, Preferences etc) can be shown and used while working in full screen mode
- Full Screen mode is saved in the document and restored when re-opening the document
- Full screen mode is exited and restored when switching to other application and when getting back to Mellel
- Lion Style Full Screen support
- Re-Designed "Tabbed Palettes" system
- Palettes surfaces are kept in the same location allowing "muscle memory" when accessing the options
- Palettes can be grouped together or separately in any combination
- Palettes can re-arranged by dragging or via a menu
- Section Style Palette
- List Improvements
- List Style Palette
- Ability to assign a list style on non-list text
- Page Style Palette
- User Selectable background pattern/color for document
- User Selectable background pattern/color for Full Screen
- New "Language" character attribute
- Text can be assigned a language
- Languages can be assigned to spelling dictionaries
- Languages can be assigned to keyboard layouts/input methods
- Custom languages can be created
- An OpenType language is assigned to each language, for custom languages this is user settable
- User settable keyboard (or input method) and language synchronization
- Automatically switching to a language when typing in the associated keyboard layout.
- Automatically switching to a keyboard layout when clicking or moving the cursor to text assigned to a language
- Automatically switching to a keyboard layout when assigning a language to the text
- Re-Arranged template options
- Template details like preview and description are set in the "Save Template" Sheet, right before saving the template and not separately in the "Document Info" sheet
- Automatic preview generation for template, with an option for the user to override the preview and provide a custom image
- Re-Arranged menus
- Unified Styles+Style Set menu
- Added "View" menu containing options for
- View mode (Mellel, Compact)
- Showing/hiding toolbar, ruler and bottom bar
- "Navigate" Submenu (next/prev page etc.)
- Hidden Characters
- Windows menu
- Palettes" submenu
- iCloud support (Mac App Store only)
- Outline items context menu: added promote/demote items and added show tags separately to enable working without the bottom bar
- Ruler and tab improvements
- Adding tabs simply by clicking the ruler, clicking and holding allows to select the inserted tab type
- Ability to set the default tab for click-adding in the tab well
- "Snap" to measurement unit when dragging tabs (shift to disable snapping)
- Numeric tab/margin/indent location is shown next to the tab while dragging the tab
- "Rule" is shown across document when dragging tabs/margins/indents
- Click on tab/margin/indent to show editable numeric location
- Click and hold a tab to change its type
- Autotitle improvements
- When applying changes of auto title prefix (in the Edit Title Flows sheet), the change is not applied in the text unless the current prefix in the text is the same as the old prefix. (In other words the new prefix is not forced if it has been changed by the user)
- Correctly reloading ui settings like zoom, background color etc. after revert (which didn't work well in the past)
- Not re-applying auto title prefix character (return, page break etc.) after editing an auto title via the dialog box.
Details About Mellel 2.9.1
- Fixed issues with the Auto-titles and Notes toolbar items, that caused maladjustment with their pop-up menu.
- Fixed an issue that caused numerous messages of the following type: "pageModelForOffset: couldn't find page model for offset" to appear in the console when typing and deleting text.
- Fixed issues that caused bad conversion of pre 2.9 files, with regards to different first page header/footer attributes.
- Direction of page style editor is preserved when pressing Cancel in the dialogue and not only when saving.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to incorrectly default to "restart every page" note numbering mode, instead of continuos, when importing RTF files.
- Fixed a bug that caused a dead-spot when clicking around 1.9 Inches to the left of the document margin.
Details About Mellel 2.9.0
- New appearance and functionality for document window
- Customisable toolbar
- Improved appearance for ruler
- Much less wasted space for window background, simpler and smaller separator for the outline view pane.
- Outline open/close and zoom buttons moved to the bottom of the window
- Line numbering
- Details missing. Will be added at a later date.
- Trust us, it's a great feature.
- Re-Implemented page design
- Different first page for each page range
- Different margins, orientation and "facing pages" for each page range instead of being a document wide setting.
- A setting to control where the first page of a page range lies (odd or even page, or any page)
- WYSIWYG environment for editing page styles
- Draggable margins
- Ability to set margins by specifying the margin or the remaining area
- Ability to add and remove headers/footers by clicking
- Ability to drag and drop an image on the page to make it the background image
- Image inspector allowing to set the background image settings.
- Full width, WYSIWYG editor for headers and footers
- A very clear and logical way to see which type of page (first, left, right etc) you're editing
- Improved page palette
- Arranged by tabs according to page type (first, left, right, all)
- Clicking on a tab, jumps to the corresponding page in the document (if any)
- More logical layout and better terminology used in the palette
- Improved editing environment for headers and footers in the document
- Draggable border with "snap to fit", double clicking the border causes it to jump to fit.
- Accept editing button
- Remove header button
- An indicator to show overflow
- A popup for inserting common elements (page number etc.)
- Removed limitation on setting page attributes while editing.
- Better management of header/footer height adjustment
- Height is adjusted automatically to fit the text by default, when the text is lengthened or shortened, the height is adjusted accordingly.
- Setting the height explicitly (via dragging or entering a value manually) stops the automatic adjustment.
- Double clicking or drag to snap restores the automatic adjustment.
- Overflowing the text also restores the automatic height adjustment.
- Option to control the location of a section start (same page, next page, next odd page or next even page)
- Added support for opening docx, rtfd and HTML (no images)
- Added support for Kashida for Syriac
- Section palette: Added stepper for gutter width
- "Total number of pages" variable now shows the page number of the last page and not the total page count which may be different if the first page number is not 1
- Mellel will now avoid scrolling to show the full page "properly" after showing/hiding the track changes pane or switching display modes unless it is strictly needed
- Split OpenType "All small caps" feature into its combining elements - "Small Capitals" and "Small Capitals From Capitals"
- Much improved rtf import of footnotes and endnotes, Mellel will now respect that chracter attributes of the footnote/endnote symbol and also respect settings like restart at page/section/continues, starting number and symbol type (arabic, roman etc.)
- Fixed many issues concerning Keep with and keep together options right after a section break. Mellel will no longer ignore the keep options at the beginning of a section that starts in a middle of a page. It will, however, keep ignoring the keep-with options and not move the first paragraph for sections that start at the top of the page
- Fixed a bug that caused floating images to be doubled after inserting a page style break in a page range containing floating images
- Tables are now flattened to plain text when pasted into a table cell
- Inline images are treated as a word when moving the cursor using option+arrow
- Fixed a bug that prevented pasting text from the document into the format editors in the "Edit title flows..." sheet
- Fixed a bug that caused all sorts of bad behaviour after editing a citation which is at or very near the end of the document text
- Fixed a bug that caused the sort dialog not to function sometimes
- Fixed an issue that caused smart selection (selection resulting from double clicking and double clicking and dragging - selecting whole words) to lose its "smartness" when dragging and dropping it and then undoing it.
- Fixed a bug that caused words preceding or following a tab character not to be indexed in the spotlight index
- When resolving a citation after scan, the basic attributes for the resolved citation are now taken from the part (final or temp) that is currently displayed and not the temp citation (which was the case till now), this prevents situations where the styling of the citation would sometimes revert to the original styling when re-scanning the document.
- When using Spaces, the Find, Preferences and Edit Style Sets window will open in the current space rather then switch to the space where they were initially opened
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to break the line just before a note symbol if preceded by a Chinese character (and possibly in other situations)
- When exported to RTF asterisk numbered footnotes/endnotes are now mapped to Chicago manual of style type symbols instead of regular numbers
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to show a redundant "Change" menu when right clicking a bookmark item in the outline pane
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to go to the character before last instead of the last character when pressing control+E when the paragraph is the last in the text or last in a footnote/table etc.
- Fixed a bug that caused text in Japanese Kana to be displayed garbled in the outline and other places (Lion)
- Version 2.9 is compatible with Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) and better
- Removed option for aqua interface