Release Notes for Mellel
Details about Mellel 3.3.1
Bug fixes and enhancements:
- (12871) Fixed an issue that caused the palettes to be positioned at the wrong place when connecting an external monitor while in full screen mode.
- (13061) Fixed wrong name with Invoice template.
- Fixed bug that caused Mellel Lite to show on the App Store as supporting 10.5.
- Fixed an issue that caused the selection to misbehave and become slow and unresponsive when editing a comment while the Statistics palette is open.
- Updated Deutsch (reformiert) hyphenation dictionary.
- Fixed an issue that caused mellel to crash, and to other odd things to happen when pasting RTF text.
- (13032) Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to clip some of the content at the margin, with documents containing multiple page ranges with multiple settings for margins.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when changing the Auto-title setup to a setup containing a smaller number of Auto-title streams (therefore deleting the streams) with documents containing Cross References to the deleted Auto titles.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash or behave erratically when invoking "Insert bookmark" and then pressing "Cancel" in the Edit Bookmark dialogue.
- (12868) Comments now draw background colour of text, if such colour is set.
- Fixed issues with adjusting the character palette after making character attribute changes to text in comments.
- (12874) Fixed an issue that caused Mellel not to detect bold and italics with cocoa rtf files (TextEdit, Scrivener, etc.)
- (12946) Default colour for floating image frame is now black instead of white.
- Fixed Spelling of "Parentheses" factory find action name (Parentheses->Parentheses)
- (13005) Fixed a bug that enabled double clicking mentions to edit them and that caused all sorts of strange behaviour when trying to edit a mention by "soft clicking" it or option clicking it.
- (13017) Command+F now always focuses on the find field. Command+J (scroll to show selection) will now close the find pane and focus on the document (and scroll to the selection, of course)
- (13018) Restored a regression with the ability to double click on note symbol to jump to the note reference.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when invoking the About box before the Splash screen is dismissed, and clicking inside.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when pasting text containing comments from Scrivner.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash when opening rtfd documents via Import->RTF.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when saving and editing imported rtf documents containing empty comments.
- Fixed a bug that caused Edit -> Comment -> Delete comments in selection to sometimes fail.
Details About Mellel 3.3
- New background for annotations pane
- Find Strip in document window
- Revised Find Set window
- Printing of the annotation pane (if visible while printing)
- Automatic crash reporting
- Added small caps mapping to bibliography setup
- Built in support and beta report forms
- Added “insert hyperlink” to contextual menu
- Smarter conversion of text to auto title when creating an auto title from a selection: if the format specifies a character style (or an associated character style to the paragraph style) then the style is applied on the text by mapping the text attributes to the variations in the style (unless the format also specifies a style variation in which case the variation is applied on the whole text). When the format doesn’t specify a style, the styling inside the text is preserved.
- Drawing parts of the document and find set windows mode dimmed and subdued when not the main window. Including: Document and Find set bottom bar area, find strip controls, ruler, document page shadow and style well
- Synchronising between landscape setting in page setup and the setting in the doc. When opening the dialog, the setting is set according to the first page range. When applying, the setting is applied on all page ranges (if changed)
- Preferences option to control showing the user name and date in annotation bubble. Concentrated bubble options in preferences document setup
- Bubble buttons are not normally drawn, shown when mouse is over the bubble.
- More options for changing a note's stream:
- While editing a note via the context menu "Note Stream" Submenu
- While editing a note via Insert->Note->Name of stream
- While the note reference is selected by choosing Insert->Note->Name of stream.
- Allowing overriding "Hebrew Quotes fix" by pressing control and typing single or double quotes.
- When inserting a table, default direction for the table comes from the current paragraph direction and not the last used direction.
- Simplified and improved rendering of auto title titles in mentions, TOC and xref. Variations in the title are mapped to the corresponding variations in the output style except for base which is mapped to the variation specified in the format element. Overrides from the format element are then applied on the resulting string.
- (12770) Keyboard shortcut for opening/closing the annotations pane (cmd+option+O)
- Added “Forgot Code” button to Registration Code window
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when dealing with text wrapping around images in certain narrow margin situations. Slightly better logging when dealing with the email service
- Changed rendering of “dangling mentions”, drawing a thing space instead of <#???#> and marking it with a red frame on screen
- Fixed an issue where changes in the user hyphenation dictionary wouldn't be shown inside tables after pressing "Refresh open documents"
- Allowing to search for citations, auto titles and hyperlinks inside "all"
- Fixed a bug that caused the last letter to be chopped off of auto titles when approving a track changes modification applied to them
- Revealing the correct bubble page when making document text selection involving TC elements or comments
- Fixed a problem that caused bad display of insert mention and insert element popups in the header/footer editing overlay under Mavericks
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to hang and crash sometimes when rendering documents with very long footnotes whose “may split” setting is not “anywhere”.
- Fixed an issue where some text in headers and footers of imported RTF document would be hidden.
- Fixes an issue where some headers and footers of imported rtf documents would not be imported at all.
- Fixed an issue that caused attribute changes (switching bold, italic, etc on or off), to be ignored if a tracked changes (deletion/insertion) happens to start at the same location when exporting RTF.
- Hebrew quotes fix now works in the find strip fields
- Improved rtf font matching method. Resolves many issues in importing and pasting styled text from other applications
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to hang when choosing “save” or “Save as” with new documents when “system auto-save” is enabled
- Added “Language” submenu in the context menu.
- Opml export panel: fixed inlude->include
- Improved font matching for cocoa rtf. Improves opening and pasting from other rich text Cocoa applications
Details about Mellel 3.2.7
- Fixed issues where the Spotlight plug-in would crash when trying to index mellel template files.
- Fixed an issue that caused default maker name to not be applied on new documents.
- Added support for small caps in formatted citations and bibliographies.
- Fixed an issue that caused live bibliography not to function correctly with Bookends 12.0.6.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when scanning documents containing empty citations where the format specifies that the citations need to be enclosed.
- Fixed an issue where smart quotes would not function on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) using the Hebrew keyboard layout.
- Automatically direct Hebrew keyboard layout Geresh and Gershaim to single or double quotes on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).
Details about Mellel 3.2.6
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) when clicking the associated input method popup menu in the Preferences, when certain input methods are present
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to crash on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) after closing some of the dialogue boxes (for example, Insert Cross Reference)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to crash on launch on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) when certain Keyboard Layouts are present
Details about Mellel 3.2.5
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to crash upon launch when encountering damaged style sets in the application support folder.
- Fixed a problem that caused screen artefacts and memory leak (and crashes) with OS X 10.6 and general screen artefacts, especially on retina displays.
Details about Mellel 3.2.4
- Fixed an issue which sometimes prevented the default language from being applied on blank documents. This bug also caused the "none" language to appear twice in the menu
- Fixed an issue which caused the "Document Setup" background colour not to appear on documents created from factory templates
- Fixed issues which caused some factory template to fail to open with some localisations
- Template browser. Default width of split is not correctly calculated, preventing the truncation of some items
- Fixed an issue that caused paste and drag from Google Chrome to be accepted only as plain text, causing stuff like hyperlinks to become plain text and not be clickable
- Added support for /nosupersub keyword in citation rtf.
Details about Mellel 3.2.3
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail opening non-Mellel documents under Leopard (rtf, doc, opml, etc).
- Fixed an issue that caused the app to crash when exporting to PDF when the document contained malformed hyperlinks.
Details about Mellel 3.2.2
- Fixed a bug which prevented opening some older files (.mell files)
Details about Mellel 3.2.1
- Fixed compatibility issues with Leopard (10.5)
- Restored support for automatic baseline shift adjustment for MathType equations
- Smarter application of default language when creating a new document. The default language is not applied when null or when the character style has a language defined in the selected variation
- When applying a style set on an empty document, the language of the default character style is applied on the text
- When applying character attribute changes on an empty document the applied attributes are actually saved in the document and not discarded
- Properly drawing folder names in template browser by truncating when needed
Details about Mellel 3.2
- Improved support for TextExpander auto-capitalisation
- Improved input methods support allowing for more modern features including Mountain Lion's "iOS style" accented characters insertion (holding a key and then choosing from an accent list)
- Completed retina support
- Added icons to "insert element" popups (find, replace) in the find panel
- Added auto title regex element
- Document defaults. You can now set the default zoom and spread mode in the preferences, overriding the setting in the template.
- Rating prompt (Mac app store only)
- Default template changes
- You can now assign the default template in the templates browser
- Setting a default template in the templates browser will also automatically set the new document preference to "Open template". Unchecking the default template will restore the option to opening the template browser when opening a new document.
- Added the "Default template for import" option to the preferences. Allows setting a template for use when importing document from rtf, plain text etc
- Checking the "make default" checkbox in the "Save as Template" sheet will also automatically set the option to open new documents from the default template and not show the template browser.
- Allows to link to a web page, email or a local file on the disk
- Import and export from RTF
- PDF export produces live, clickable hyperlinks
- Added options for finding within hyperlinks and finding hyperlinks in the find panel.
- Language changes
- Language is now a part of the character style
- Each variation can have its own language
- You can choose languages "ad hoc" (in the palette) and this will not be shown as an override (that is, the style name will not show '+' when the language has been overridden)
- When applying a style or variation, language overrides are removed from the text but only if the language is not "none"
- Keyboard shortcuts for cycling in the preferred languages and toggling the last two languages.
- Default language is now applied on blank templates.
- Improved language/keyboard synchronization mechanism
- You can assign a keyboard to more then one language
- When you choose a language, Mellel will switch automatically to the assigned keyboard for that language, if there is no such keyboard, Mellel will allow typing using the current keyboard in that language even if that keyboard is assigned to another language.
- When changing the keyboard and typing, Mellel will automatically switch to the last language that was used with that keyboard.
- Language is now a part of the character style
- Fixed an issue where the insertion point would disappear when positioned right next to a wrapable inline image
- Restored support for math magic baseline info in image pastes
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused incorrect representation of lists in plain text export and copy
- Notes are now filtered from the text when pasting a text containing notes into a note.
- Corrected issues with citations in the upcoming Bookends version
- Fixed a bug that caused a very crash while typing.
- Updated factory templates
- Fixed an issue that caused italic and bold not to show up when importing certain RTF documents (for example, Nisus)
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping a citation over another citation would not remove the citation from the original location but leave it there causing the move to become a copy.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash sometimes (rarely) when saving a document
- Work around a system problem that caused faint lines to appear near the top and bottom of a palette tab after dragging the tab
Details about Mellel 3.1.3
Bug fixes with 3.1.3
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail opening older .mell files
- Fixed bug that caused long names to become truncated in the template/recent document browser
Details about Mellel 3.0.3
Bug fixes with Mellel 3.1
- Fixed a problem that would emit invalid codes when registering.
Details about Mellel 3.0.2
Bug fixes with Mellel 3.0.2
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to freeze sometimes when entering the version browser.
- Fixed a problem that casued some characters in the final citation to appear doubled after a bibliography scan.
- Palettes are now grouped in a single heap when presented on smaller screens (i.e macbook air 11'')
- Consolidated Help menu links
- Fixed an issue that caused double clicking or clicking the first bookmark in the outline view not to jump to the bookmark location or open it for editing like it does when clicking/double clicking the other bookmarks
- Fixed a problem that caused the align and direction buttons to present in the wrong place when the selection was a floating image
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to ignore editing of citations if the editing including deleting the whole temp citation text
- Retina images for tab well and style well
- Fixed a problem that caused "verify citations" scans with document containing empty citations to corrupt the citations by offsetting each citation to the next citation location.
- Changed checkbox "Paragraph Ruler" to "Ruler" in Preferences/Show Options/General
- restored command+Y as switch to reference database shortcut
- Updated application icon
- Fixes an issue that caused the blinking insertion point to appear in more then one window under certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue that caused a long pause after dragging citations from bookends while live bibliography was on.
- Fixed an issue that caused the document view to stick to the left when moving the window from screen to screen.
- Fixed a problem that casued the QuickLook plug in to fail showing pre 3.0 files
- Fixed a problem that caused the spotlight importer to malfunction under Mountain Lion
Details about Mellel 3.0.1
Bug fixes with Mellel 3.0.1
- Fixed a bug that caused the save as template function to fail on Leopard
- Fixed a bug that caused the Spotlight and QuickLook plug-ins to malfunction
- Fixed an issue that caused dragging the end margin to be limited in an incorrect way when the start margin was non zero.
- Enabled the bookends feature of converting parenthesis to brackets by not stripping single square brackets at a beginning of a citation
- Fixed an issue that prevented the Mac App Store version of Mellel to communicate with the Mac App Store version of Bookends
- Fixed an issue that caused Mellel to fail to recognize dictating "New Line" with Mountain Lion's dictation function.
- Fixed a bug that disabled dragging tab stops in the ruler in Leopard
- Fixed all sorts of issues with switching in and out and between document in Lion's full screen among these, fixed an issue that caused the palette spacer to appear even though palettes were hidden when switching to another app and then back to Mellel (in full screen mode)
- Tab well now showing the correct tooltip for each tab
- Fixed an issue that disabled scrolling by dragging the scroll elevator sometimes (Lion)
- Fixed an issue that caused the version browser (Lion) to show black windows with the caption "unable to load version" for all past version of the document.
- Updated hyphenation dictionaries
- Updated some Japanese xibs
Details about Mellel 3.0
- Bibliography Changes
- Live bibliography
- When live bibliography is enabled, citations are automatically (and silently) verified, formatted to final form and a bibliography is generated every time a citation is added/removed or changed
- The "Verify Citations" button in the bibliography palette indicates if there are any unverified citations in the document
- "Verify Citation" button in citation edit panel (available regardless of live bibliography) allows resolving an individual citation.
- Invalid citations are marked in the text
- Live bibliography
- Autosave and versions (on Lion). Option to choose autosaving method on preferences
- Re-Designed Full Screen mode for Snow-Leopard and Leopard
- Document maintains view mode (Mellel/Compact) while in full screen mode
- Options to show/hide the ruler and bottom bar in full screen mode
- Palettes can be shown and used while in full screen
- All other windows (Find, Preferences etc) can be shown and used while working in full screen mode
- Full Screen mode is saved in the document and restored when re-opening the document
- Full screen mode is exited and restored when switching to other application and when getting back to Mellel
- Lion Style Full Screen support
- Re-Designed "Tabbed Palettes" system
- Palettes surfaces are kept in the same location allowing "muscle memory" when accessing the options
- Palettes can be grouped together or separately in any combination
- Palettes can re-arranged by dragging or via a menu
- Section Style Palette
- List Improvements
- List Style Palette
- Ability to assign a list style on non-list text
- Page Style Palette
- User Selectable background pattern/color for document
- User Selectable background pattern/color for Full Screen
- New "Language" character attribute
- Text can be assigned a language
- Languages can be assigned to spelling dictionaries
- Languages can be assigned to keyboard layouts/input methods
- Custom languages can be created
- An OpenType language is assigned to each language, for custom languages this is user settable
- User settable keyboard (or input method) and language synchronization
- Automatically switching to a language when typing in the associated keyboard layout.
- Automatically switching to a keyboard layout when clicking or moving the cursor to text assigned to a language
- Automatically switching to a keyboard layout when assigning a language to the text
- Re-Arranged template options
- Template details like preview and description are set in the "Save Template" Sheet, right before saving the template and not separately in the "Document Info" sheet
- Automatic preview generation for template, with an option for the user to override the preview and provide a custom image
- Re-Arranged menus
- Unified Styles+Style Set menu
- Added "View" menu containing options for
- View mode (Mellel, Compact)
- Showing/hiding toolbar, ruler and bottom bar
- "Navigate" Submenu (next/prev page etc.)
- Hidden Characters
- Windows menu
- Palettes" submenu
- iCloud support (Mac App Store only)
- Outline items context menu: added promote/demote items and added show tags separately to enable working without the bottom bar
- Ruler and tab improvements
- Adding tabs simply by clicking the ruler, clicking and holding allows to select the inserted tab type
- Ability to set the default tab for click-adding in the tab well
- "Snap" to measurement unit when dragging tabs (shift to disable snapping)
- Numeric tab/margin/indent location is shown next to the tab while dragging the tab
- "Rule" is shown across document when dragging tabs/margins/indents
- Click on tab/margin/indent to show editable numeric location
- Click and hold a tab to change its type
- Autotitle improvements
- When applying changes of auto title prefix (in the Edit Title Flows sheet), the change is not applied in the text unless the current prefix in the text is the same as the old prefix. (In other words the new prefix is not forced if it has been changed by the user)
- Correctly reloading ui settings like zoom, background color etc. after revert (which didn't work well in the past)
- Not re-applying auto title prefix character (return, page break etc.) after editing an auto title via the dialog box.
Details About Mellel 2.9.1
- Fixed issues with the Auto-titles and Notes toolbar items, that caused maladjustment with their pop-up menu.
- Fixed an issue that caused numerous messages of the following type: "pageModelForOffset: couldn't find page model for offset" to appear in the console when typing and deleting text.
- Fixed issues that caused bad conversion of pre 2.9 files, with regards to different first page header/footer attributes.
- Direction of page style editor is preserved when pressing Cancel in the dialogue and not only when saving.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to incorrectly default to "restart every page" note numbering mode, instead of continuos, when importing RTF files.
- Fixed a bug that caused a dead-spot when clicking around 1.9 Inches to the left of the document margin.
Details About Mellel 2.9.0
- New appearance and functionality for document window
- Customisable toolbar
- Improved appearance for ruler
- Much less wasted space for window background, simpler and smaller separator for the outline view pane.
- Outline open/close and zoom buttons moved to the bottom of the window
- Line numbering
- Details missing. Will be added at a later date.
- Trust us, it's a great feature.
- Re-Implemented page design
- Different first page for each page range
- Different margins, orientation and "facing pages" for each page range instead of being a document wide setting.
- A setting to control where the first page of a page range lies (odd or even page, or any page)
- WYSIWYG environment for editing page styles
- Draggable margins
- Ability to set margins by specifying the margin or the remaining area
- Ability to add and remove headers/footers by clicking
- Ability to drag and drop an image on the page to make it the background image
- Image inspector allowing to set the background image settings.
- Full width, WYSIWYG editor for headers and footers
- A very clear and logical way to see which type of page (first, left, right etc) you're editing
- Improved page palette
- Arranged by tabs according to page type (first, left, right, all)
- Clicking on a tab, jumps to the corresponding page in the document (if any)
- More logical layout and better terminology used in the palette
- Improved editing environment for headers and footers in the document
- Draggable border with "snap to fit", double clicking the border causes it to jump to fit.
- Accept editing button
- Remove header button
- An indicator to show overflow
- A popup for inserting common elements (page number etc.)
- Removed limitation on setting page attributes while editing.
- Better management of header/footer height adjustment
- Height is adjusted automatically to fit the text by default, when the text is lengthened or shortened, the height is adjusted accordingly.
- Setting the height explicitly (via dragging or entering a value manually) stops the automatic adjustment.
- Double clicking or drag to snap restores the automatic adjustment.
- Overflowing the text also restores the automatic height adjustment.
- Option to control the location of a section start (same page, next page, next odd page or next even page)
- Added support for opening docx, rtfd and HTML (no images)
- Added support for Kashida for Syriac
- Section palette: Added stepper for gutter width
- "Total number of pages" variable now shows the page number of the last page and not the total page count which may be different if the first page number is not 1
- Mellel will now avoid scrolling to show the full page "properly" after showing/hiding the track changes pane or switching display modes unless it is strictly needed
- Split OpenType "All small caps" feature into its combining elements - "Small Capitals" and "Small Capitals From Capitals"
- Much improved rtf import of footnotes and endnotes, Mellel will now respect that chracter attributes of the footnote/endnote symbol and also respect settings like restart at page/section/continues, starting number and symbol type (arabic, roman etc.)
- Fixed many issues concerning Keep with and keep together options right after a section break. Mellel will no longer ignore the keep options at the beginning of a section that starts in a middle of a page. It will, however, keep ignoring the keep-with options and not move the first paragraph for sections that start at the top of the page
- Fixed a bug that caused floating images to be doubled after inserting a page style break in a page range containing floating images
- Tables are now flattened to plain text when pasted into a table cell
- Inline images are treated as a word when moving the cursor using option+arrow
- Fixed a bug that prevented pasting text from the document into the format editors in the "Edit title flows..." sheet
- Fixed a bug that caused all sorts of bad behaviour after editing a citation which is at or very near the end of the document text
- Fixed a bug that caused the sort dialog not to function sometimes
- Fixed an issue that caused smart selection (selection resulting from double clicking and double clicking and dragging - selecting whole words) to lose its "smartness" when dragging and dropping it and then undoing it.
- Fixed a bug that caused words preceding or following a tab character not to be indexed in the spotlight index
- When resolving a citation after scan, the basic attributes for the resolved citation are now taken from the part (final or temp) that is currently displayed and not the temp citation (which was the case till now), this prevents situations where the styling of the citation would sometimes revert to the original styling when re-scanning the document.
- When using Spaces, the Find, Preferences and Edit Style Sets window will open in the current space rather then switch to the space where they were initially opened
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to break the line just before a note symbol if preceded by a Chinese character (and possibly in other situations)
- When exported to RTF asterisk numbered footnotes/endnotes are now mapped to Chicago manual of style type symbols instead of regular numbers
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to show a redundant "Change" menu when right clicking a bookmark item in the outline pane
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to go to the character before last instead of the last character when pressing control+E when the paragraph is the last in the text or last in a footnote/table etc.
- Fixed a bug that caused text in Japanese Kana to be displayed garbled in the outline and other places (Lion)
- Version 2.9 is compatible with Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) and better
- Removed option for aqua interface
Details About Mellel 2.8.2
- (860) Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail to open documents with track changes turned on under Tiger (10.4).
- Updated localisations.
- Updated the About and the Registration prompt screens.
- (858) Really fixed (that is, re-fixed) a bug that caused dates inserted by pre 2.8 versions to appear garbled in Mellel 2.8.
- (859) Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes fail to open Mellel files with the error "Missing text model dictionary" - the documents opened on second attempt successfully.
- (862) Fixed a problem that would cause Mellel to move the cursor to the next/previous table cell when pressing the arrow keys while there is a selection instead of just moving the cursor to the end/beginning of the selection is expected.
- (861) Fixed a bug that caused style editors "Save" button to become enabled without justification if the style name field got and then lost keyboard focus.
Release notes 2.8.1
- Support for Bookend's "Copy Notecard and citation" citation insertions.
- Updated localizations.
- Corrected strings in update prompt screen mentioning the 2 years of free upgrades, etc.
- Fixed a bug that caused dates inserted by pre 2.8 versions of Mellel to appear garbled in Mellel 2.8.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang sometimes when choosing to reject all changes after turning off track changes in "Final" mode.
- Fixed two issues in converting older ".mell" documents. Documents are now saved as zipped package, unless stated otherwise in the preferences. Mellel will open the new file in the old location rather then the old file in the trash.
- Fixed spelling in buy mellel nib (Studend->Student).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to treat inserted auto-titles as deleted (showing # as the current number) when in "Final" or "Final with markup" track changes display mode.
- Fixed a bug that caused text to wrap around images incorrectly in sections with non zero "Space above".
- Fixed a bug that caused marker shortcuts (Edit->Marker) not to function when initially opening a document without opening the menu first (Jason K. Aftosmis).
- When copying text while track changes is on, text is cleared of TC markings by accepting all changes (removing deletions and accepting insertions) and flattened (unhiding hidden insertions, if in "Original" mode).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to leave an extra section break when unscanning a bibliography.
- Fixed problem that caused the style well to overlap the track changes button in some localizations.
- Fixed a bug that caused deleted text to sometimes show as deleted (with a strikethrough) when in Original mode.
Release notes 2.8
- Track changes
- Tracking insertions, deletions, replace
- Track character, paragraph, list, section and page attribute changes
- Tracking changes of multiple users
- Ability to move between change locations
- Ability to hi-light only one user's changes
- 4 modes of display allowing control on the display of insertions or deletions
- Annotation of changes via "Bubbles" or revision marks
- Control of change author name and colour via preferences
- Ability to "Pause" change tracking
- Importing and exporting tracked insertions and deletions to RTF
- Undo across save
- Preferences option to allow choosing between clearing the undo memory when saving or having a fixed amount of undo steps.
- New file format
- Default document format is now a "zipped package", a package document who is compressed entirely, allowing much better compatibly with non package aware email clients (that is, email clients whose name is not "Apple Mail") and backup/synchronisation services (mobile me, drop box etc.).
- Preferences option to allow saving in an uncompressed package format
- Sorting paragraphs, words, table rows, table columns or delimited text.
- Sorting alphabetically or numerically
- Secondary sort, allowing to sort text in multiple levels
- Ignore list and ignore delimiter allowing to ignore certain pre-defined words or parenthesised text when sorting
- Quick access to the last performed sort or to simple ascending/descending sort
- Improved RTF export to allow better compatibility with various windows program like WordPad, OpenOffice for windows etc. with regards to accented latin characters.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to open the wrong character or paragraph style for editing when hitting the keyboard shortcut for editing
- Fixed a bug that caused the document window to jump to the font whenever dismissing a dialog that originates from the FindSet or Find windows
- Fixed a bug that caused the vertical scroll bar to remain disabled after pasting text into an empty document when the zoom mode is "fit page"
- Fixed a bug that caused the last paragraph of a list which is the last paragraph of a document to lose its list status when deleting all of it's text
Release notes 2.7.3
Supports additional citation options with Bookends, allowing citations to come in the format of "Carpenter (2009)".
Release notes 2.7.2
- Various improvements to the Hebrew interface
- Updated QuickLook plug-in
- Some changes to the Find Set window
- Improved behaviour of image resizing in smaller images. Determination of resize handle being grabbed is done based on the proximity of the cursor to the image corner and not in the faulty way it was done in the past
- Changed minimum image size limitation to 2 points. This fixes problems of images being resized when opening a document
- Improved drawing of resize handles in image selection, handles are now drawn smaller if the image is too small
- Enforcing minimum image size in image editor dialogue
- Paragraph direction of auto-title edit dialogue is now set according to the surrounding text direction
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail to export to RTF documents that contain "out of page range" floating elements (floating elements that are invisible because they are assigned to a page that is after the last page in a page range)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang sometimes (very rare) when rendering documents containing wrappable inline images
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when opening RTF files that use Courier Oblique and Helvetica Oblique under tiger. This also caused crashes when pasting text copied from web pages
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when editing citations that has been marked as "Exclude from final document" after scanning
- Fixed a bug that caused character and paragraph keyboard shortcuts to fail every now and then under Snow Leopard
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel not to respect the baseline shift and underline attributes when set to a note symbol
- Fixed problem that caused Mellel to crash when scrolling under tiger
- Fixed a bug that caused the move button to disappear in the Find Set window in the Hebrew interface
Release notes 2.7.1
- Rtf export of floating images, rtf export of inline images with a wrap
- Updated Latvian hyphenation dictionary
- updated "Deutsch (reformiert)" hyphenation dictionary
- When resizing images, minimum size is limited to 12x12 points, to ensure a manageable and visible image, when opening older documents, 12x12 minimum image size is enforced
- Added tool-tips to various wrap around options in "Object" palette and image editing dialogue
- Caret is now drawn in either black or white depending on which colour will be the most contrasting to the background colour
- Added Finnish localisation
- More predictable show first page footer/header check-box behaviour. When setting the Show Header or Show Footer for even or add pages, show first page header/footer check-box is automatically checked or unchecked
- Hebrew interface fixes: Fixed problems with page palette and page style editor tabs in Hebrew interface. Auto-title sheet - main format tab is now selected when opening the document. Statistics palette is symmetrized.
- Hebrew interface: lists in the palettes (Character style palette, Paragraph Style palette, marker palette, bibliography palette are now drawn RTL when in Hebrew interface
- Fixed a bug under 10.4 (Tiger) that caused Mellel to crash when scrolling the document window
- Fixed a bug that caused dragging text clippings to the document window to fail
- Fixed a problem that caused order of footnotes to get mangled sometimes
- Localisation fixes
- Updated the Kagi Registration Module. This should resolve some issues with registration under 10.4 (Tiger)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when rendering documents width floating images whose wrapping is "skip" under OS 10.4 (Tiger)
- Fixed a bug that caused floating images placed over table to be inserted in the middle of a table when converted to an inline image
- Fixed a bug that caused section breaks following a column break to force an unnecessary page break
- Fixed a bug that caused strange selection behaviour in documents containing citations marked as "Exclude from final document" after a bibliography scan
- Fixed a bug that caused dragging outline items to the bottom of the outline to fail
- Fixed a bug that caused inline images drawing to refresh incorrectly when the image is at the bottom of a column and adding lines above it
- Paragraph and Character style palettes are disabled when no document is opened
- Fixed an issue that caused the page palette tabs to be adjusted improperly when initially opening the program
- Fixed a bug that caused documents to open sometimes with a bad title
- Fixed a bug that caused lists ending a page to cause lists on the next page to continue the list numbering even thought a non list line/lines separate the two
- Fixed a bug that caused undo to take too long when undoing changes at the end of the document
Release notes 2.7
- Floating images
- Arrange submenu to set order of floating images
- Wrap around floating and inline images
- Added setup selection pop-up menu in auto-title palette
- Added "List Separately in TOC" option to auto-title flows, option is
- valid only for tag flows, on by default
- added "Reset Numbering" option (on by default) to auto-title flows
- added "Insert before" in auto-title sheet
- "Object" palette to control images frame, background colour, wrap, alpha etc
- Image transparency (Alpha)
- Page background image.
- Auto-titles can span more then 6 lines
- Auto-title can start anywhere on a line
- Hyphenation now works with citations
- Hyphenation now works with references
- Changed behaviour of drag and drop: when dragging between parts of the same document (from a table to the main text, from a note to the main text etc.) the drag is considered to be a "move" (source is removed from the original position) and not a copy
- Line breaks are filtered from the title text when producing TOC
- Changed behaviour for cross-reference formatting of auto-title format. If the surrounding attributes have a non base variation, the variation overrides any variation in the auto-title title (applies only if the auto-title format indicates "use surrounding")
- Improved keyboard navigation inside, into and out of tables.
- When moving the cursor via the arrow keys, the cursor will move to the cell above, below to the right or to the left when the end or start of the text is reached
- When extending the selection using shift+arrow keys the selection becomes a multiple cell selection when reaching the cell edge
- When above or below a table, the cursor will move into the table when pressing the down arrow button (if above) or the up arrow (if below), when going over the line end preceding the table the cursor will enter the first cell (if above) or the last cell (if below)
- When above or below a table and extending the selection using shift+arrow key, the whole table is selected rather then being entered
- Command+arrow key will move to the cell above, below to the right or the left and the whole text is selected
- Tabbed UI for page attributes (palette and page style editor)
- Added "Edit image" context menu item (shown only with images, of course)
- Fixed a bug that caused a cross-reference target id's to be changed to " copy" when copying and pasting or dragging them around (happened when the targets had references pointing to them)
- When adding rows/columns to tables, the marker value of the last row/column cells are not copied to the new column
- Fixed a bug that caused the drag image (Image shown while dragging) of inline images to appear in the wrong size when the document zoom is not 100%
- Fixed a bug that caused the message "ERObjectMap:initWithSourceObjects:mappedObjects nil argument or non matching object counts" to appear sometimes in the console when opening the style set window
- Fixed a bug that disabled pasting of text from the document into a cross reference format
- Fixed a bug that caused option+arrow movements (move by word) to lump together adjacent words and cross references as one word
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to jump to the end of the document when clicking "Previous" in the find panel when the "From beginning" option is on (and also vice versa when clicking "Next" after clicking "Previous"
- Fixed a bug that caused PICT images to be copied incorrectly into the clipboard, preventing them from being pasted into some applications (most notably MathType)
- Fixed a bug that caused pasting of images copied form the finder (by selecting the file and copying) to produce a blank image
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash with documents containing illegal auto-title references inside tables
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes crash when opening documents containing conditional x-refs in hyphenated paragraphs
- Fixed a bug that caused cross references to targets inside note to always be considered "below" the reference even when the reference is in a page which is after the location of the note
Release notes 2.6.2
- Mellel is now compatible with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6).
Release notes 2.6.1
- Added Greek Localisation.
- Mellel will now try to continue showing the same page after switching between view modes (Mellel view, Compact view and full screen).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail to save files under the Spanish localisation if the selected default auto-title setup doesn't exist (Reported by: Emerson Avery).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes fail pasting text from other applications (most notably- MS Word).
- Fixed a bug that caused citations to turn to ??? when scanning with Bookends and Sente.
- Fixed a bug that caused copy (to other applications) to be disabled after registering until the program is restarted.
Release notes 2.6
- Automatic update:
- Check for updates can be done automatically or manually.
- When updates are available, details of the update are viewable from within the application.
- Mellel determines users eligibility to the update and informs the user about his/hers status.
- Update is automatically downloaded and installed, integrated with the payment.
- QuickLook plug-in - allows QuickLook and Finder previews of Mellel documents.
- Very accurate rendering of the documents, giving a very precise preview and QuickLook (except hyphenation).
- Preferences option to limit number of pages in QuickLook previews.
- Added "Match Style Attributes" when switching style sets.
- "Smart Style Application" - when applying character styles, Mellel maps overrides to their closes matching variation in the style.
- The more traditional "Wipe all overrides" style application is also available by holding the option key while applying the style.
- "Export PDF" option.
- Re-Arranged "Statistics" palette.
- "Spread view" options: One up, Two up, Four up and Spread.
- Added the following encodings for plain text export and import: Japanese (Mac), Japanese (Windows), Japanese (Shift-JIS), Japanese (EUC), Traditional Chinese (Mac), Traditional Chinese (Windows), Simplified Chinese (Mac), Simplified Chinese (Windows), Chinese (GB18030), Korean (Mac), Korean (Windows), Korean (ISO2022-KR), Korean (EUC).
- Added support for Japanese and Chinese to RTF, this improves compatibility with word and text edit for importing and copying Japanese and Chinese texts.
- Enabled editing of document styles.
- Much improved mechanism for matching styles when opening documents, prevents many problems of document style duplication and inconsistencies in style handling.
- When creating a style "by example" the style editing dialogue is shown.
- Better determination of associated character styles when creating a new paragraph style.
- Style editors now allow editing the style name.
- When pasting RTF text (from Word, for example), footnotes and endnotes are not discarded.
- All auto-title elements (numbers and fixes text) are now counted in the statistics.
- Text of Notes referred to inside the selection is not counted in the selection statistics.
- Updated hyphenation dictionaries.
- New method for determining the ideal size and position for the document window (for new documents and when pressing the zoom button).
- RTF font matching table is now sorted alphabetically.
- Improved RTF export of cross references, the reference is rendered as text in the rtf, except for page numbers which keep pointing to the target (bookmark, auto-title etc).
- Improved support for vowel marks in Windows fonts.
- Selection in the the auto-title palette list is now remembered for documents even after the list is temporarily cleared when showing the auto-title edit panel.
- Check-boxes for "Search inside" options are now adjusted to better reflect the actual available options. When "Search in selection" is checked "main text" is forced to be checked and disabled (to disallow changes), footnotes and headers/footers are unchecked and disabled.
- Changed character style consolidation policy for RTF import (including rich text paste from other applications): Instead of creating a separate style for each family+face+size combination, Mellel will now create a basic style for each family+size combination and treat face changes as overrides. This gives better results for "Smart character style" application and also reduces the amount of style clutter in imported RTF documents.
- Restored the functionality of citation option double-click (in text) to switch to bibliography application and search for it (like option double click in the palette).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to reset "Auto title prev#" items in cross references to level 1 when re-opening a document.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to ignore images in "Insert Menu Items" folder if their extension was not in lowercase.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when closing documents while editing a table cell inside a header/footer.
- Fixed a bug that caused strange characters to appear in the copied text when using the selection as plain text (Look Up in Dictionary, Use Selection For find, Search in bibliography database etc.).
- Fixed a bug that caused the character attributes of the selection to be set to the default rather then the surrounding text when opening a saved document whose saved selection is an insertion point.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to add a redundant paragraph break when inserting style text from other applications (Paste, Services etc.) this caused some trouble with Typinator and other programs.
- Fixed a bug that caused tool-tips not to appear for the tab well.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when entering a registration code without entering a user name in the registration dialogue box.
- Fixed a bug that caused PICT images not to be exported to rtf if the image was obtained via rtf import.
- Fixed a bug that caused failure to insert auto-titles that request a title when the find window is the front window.
- Fixed a problem that caused applying character styles on table selections (multiple cells) not to remove overrides in empty cells.
- Fixed an issue that caused applying overrides like bold and italic (via command+B and command+I) not to effect empty table cells in table selections.
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to convert PICT images to bitmap when exporting to rtf (or copying and pasting) causing much trouble with equations pasted from MathType and EquationEditor.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when opening some RTF files if the RTF font mapping table contains references to fonts which are no longer installed on the system.
- Removed redundant error messages when cancelling RTF imports and old document opening.
- Removed double display of error messages upon failure to open Mellel documents.
- Fixed a problem that caused the "Reading RTF" progress panel to appear mysteriously at the background after cancelling an RTF import (by clicking "Cancel" in the font matching panel) and then trying to import an RTF again.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang and crash when searching for find expressions containing citation, bookmark or reference elements which are set to repeat, greedy and negated.
- Mellel no longer ignores the "negated" check-box for special character elements like tabs, cr, page breaks, etc.
- Fixed a bug that caused case mapping (All caps, small caps) to produce gibberish characters sometimes.
- Cross references are now correctly exported to plain text.
- Cross references are now correctly exported to OPML.
- Fixed a bug that caused strange behaviour when inserting notes right after changing the style set in an empty document.
- Fixed a bug that caused insertion of an invisible character when extracting the selection as plain text (for "Use selection for find", creating auto-titles etc).
- Fixed a bug that caused paragraphs to adopt the previous paragraphs attributes the insertion point is at the beginning of the paragraph when saving the document.
- Font family menu is now sorted by real alphabetic order.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when quitting sometimes.
Release notes 2.5
- Can be inserted in text
- Can be searched
- Appear in the outline
- Hi-lighted on screen
- Can be option double clicked to jump to the first reference to it
- Context menu
- Can refer to page, note number, auto-title format, auto-title range start and end, auto-title number, auto-title title, auto-title previous number and image name
- Conditional page number elements, allow custom text when referring to targets above, below, next page, previous page and opposite page
- Can be searched
- Can refer to virtual targets
- Reference formats can be saved and recalled
- Serve as links in PDF
- Hi-lighted on screen (optional)
- Can be option double clicked to jump to the target
- Can be command double clicked to jump to a similar reference (pointing to the same target)
- Context menu
- Reference edit dialogue
- Allows to brows existing targets
- Allows to assign auto-titles and images as targets
- Allows to define virtual targets
- Cross reference palette
- Insert Bookmark
- Insert Reference
- Navigate between references
- Image Title attribute
- Can serve as reference targets
- Can serve as targets
- New format editor for auto-titles
- Ad-hoc styling to auto-title format elements and paragraph attributes
- Spotlight plug-in now included in application bundle
- Improved selection saving, mellel now restores selection inside table cell and notes when opening documents
- Added support for "File Menu Items" and "Insert Menu items" folders
- Spotlight plug-in is now integrated into the program package
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to insert a return instead of page break when pressing shift+enter on aluminium keyboards
- Fixed problems with fonts using type 6 cmap format
- improved support for RTF char-sets
- Kamatz Qatan (U+05C7) is now properly skipped when performing "ignore diacritics" search
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel's document view to vibrate when clicked with certain documents
- Fixed appearance of outline show/hide button under
- Fixed a bug in RTF import from Wordsmith which caused all text to become black on black
- Fixed a bug that caused striked out text from Cocoa applications to be pasted as plain text
- Edit->Bibliography->Enter Citation Menually menu item is now disabled when editing a header/footer
- Fixed problems that caused cropping and inaccuracy in scaled images
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to include the font height of a paragraph break (return, page break, section break etc.) in the calculation of line height which caused strange line spacing when such characters are applied with an unusually big font size
- Fixed a bug that caused the statistics palette to count every Cyrillic letter as a word
- When switching style sets, styles within auto-title titles (in text) and the non-visible part of a citation are matched
- Fixed a bug that caused crashes and other problems sometimes when selecting table cells while the statistics palette is open
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when displaying pages containing mentions to auto-title flows that are not used in the text
- Fixed capitalisation in the registration window (User name and Registration code)
- Added support for image file drags with the "tif" extension ("tiff" with single 'f')
- Improved selection saving, mellel now restores selection inside table cell and notes when opening documents
Release notes 126.96.36.199
- Improved handling of RTF files generated by Leopard's TextEdit
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when typing control+return
- "Load Find Set" window can be resized
- Fixed a bug that caused dragging to fail in the style sets, find sets and note streams window under Leopard
- Removed unneeded logging when opening cocoa rtf files
Release notes 188.8.131.52
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when rendering certain documents
- Statistics palette will treat digit sequences separated by number separators (comma, period, colon etc) as single words (Jakob Vicari)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel not to count a paragraph in selection if the paragraph break wasn't selected (Jakob Vicari)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes not count the first word of a paragraph (Jolin M Warren)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when pressing tab in the last cell of the table when editing a header/foooter in the page style editing dialogue (Hans Martin Kraemer)
- Fixed a bug that caused the Table palette not to adjust correctly after making changes while editing a single cell (Steve Luke)
- Fixed a bug that caused a faint grey line to appear above or below a line while typing (Lutz)
- Integrated updated localisations
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to sometimes fail adding rows and columns to tables while editing a cell
Release notes 2.2.7
- OPML Import and Export.
- Table Improvements:
- Add row and column "in place"
- Add row when pressing tab in the last cell
- Equalize cells vertically
- Contextual Menu in ruler.
- Remove all tabs command
- Add Tab Stops dialog
- Improved statistics palette.
- Updated hyphenation dictionaries.
- Enabled Services menu items that replace the selection with an image (Services like LaTeXiT, for example)
- Fixed a problem that caused rtf documents containing greek characters exported from Mellel to convert incorrectly when opening with MS Word (Mike Saia)
- Fixed a bug that caused bibliography scan to fail with documents containing empty citations
- Some performance enhancements with longer documents
- Fixed a problem that caused the outline view not to update immediately after changing numbering setups or undoing such changes
- Fixed a bug that caused the style sets window to open with the wrong style set selected when invoked from a full screen mode (Reiner Baur)
- Fixed a problem that caused the document view to sometimes vibrate when clicked (Steve Hodgson)
- Mellel now "digs in" Auto-titles, tables, citations and footnotes when doing "Check spelling" via the spelling palette (Jolin M Warren)
- Mellel now digs in Auto-titles, tables and citations when checking spelling per paragraph (Jolin M Warren)
- Improved error passing when opening documents, avoiding the famous "error: no error" message
- Fixes for Leopard beta compatibility
Release notes 184.108.40.206
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash sometimes when turning "spell as you type" off and then performing outline selections or auto-title manipulations.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to behave erratically when inserting a footnote inside a table while the outline view is visible.
- Character and paragraph style palettes are now updated automatically when switching between style sets.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash sometimes when opening the page style editor from the style set window.
- Corrected "Update Prompt" wording.
- Fixed a bug that caused double clicking a note number not to jump to the note reference if the note text begins with a citation, table, image, etc.
Release notes 2.2.5
- "May Split" option in note style.
- A Paragraphs "Space above" is no longer added to the preceding paragraph space below, instead, the bigger of the two is used.
- Guide in German.
- "No Marker" option when searching. Allows to find unmarked text or to remove the marker from replaced text.
- Disabled the option to have nothing selected in the character fill and stroke widget.
- Typing in tables performance optimisations.
- Avoiding redundant updates of paragraph, character and marker palettes.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when making selections in documents containing only tag level auto-titles (no structure) while the outline pane is open.
- Fixed a bug that caused text pasted from word to be pasted as an image.
- Fixed a bug that caused slowdown when typing inside footnotes while the outline view was open.
- Fixed a bug that caused the outline selection to disappear when clicking on the outline while editing a table.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when performing spell check in document with documents containing tables.
- Fixed a bug that caused the mellel scroll view to become clipped after exiting full screen mode if during the full screen display the toggle outline command is invoked.
- Fixed a problem that caused images inside table cells to be duplicated sometimes when splitting or adding cells.
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to hang sometimes when invoking "Check spelling in selection".
- Fixed a bug that caused markers not to be saved in find actions.
Release notes 2.2.1
- 17 Language versions (localisations): Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, French, Finish, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.
- Marker menu (Edit->Markers)
- Marker contextual Menu
- Marker colours in Marker palette
- Updated Help and user guide
- Updated default templates
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to fail opening files containing empty citations
- Shortened marker palette
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to always jump back to the outline location of the selection when disclosing and collapsing items in the outline
- Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented mentions from updating immediately when renaming an auto-title
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to render the wrong mention in pages full with endnotes
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to prefer the image URL string over the image when dragging images from Firefox
- Fixed a bug that caused text in Edit page style header/footer fields to be hidden when first opening the dialogue
- Fixed a bug that prevented getting into "in place" citation edit by pressing return inside a footnote
- Fixed a bug that disabled toggling italic off via command+I
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when opening the bibliography palette with certain documents
- Slight change to the way auto-title setup changes are applied on documents. When a title element style is changed in the setup, the change is applied including the variation unless another variation is already applied on the title text
Release Notes 2.2
- Styled auto-title titles
- Scan in document bibliography integration
- Temp and Final citations
- Styles in citations
- Citations can break across lines
- In-Place editing of citations
- Citations can be merged into groups via drag and drop or consecutive pastes.
- Scan in document
- Verify citations
- Citation context when resolving citations
- Temp and Final citations
- Sync support in bibliography
- Special bibliography section
- Font Fill, Stroke and background control (colour, weight, dash, no-fill)
- Underline/Strikethrough control (colour, weight, dash)
- Added line types: Line above, Double underline, Double Strike through and under and above
- Marker Palette
- Apply and remove markers from the list
- Search for next/previous marked text by using the buttons
- Search for next/previous text marked with a particular marker by command double clicking marker name (next marker) or option command clicking for previous.
- Custom marker names in "Document Info"
- Default maker names in preferences
- Find & Replace - you can apply marker attributes on the find or replace field
- Printing - added a "Mellel" section to the printing sheet. Option to turn on marker printing
- RTF and DOC export - option to turn on export of markings
- Marker Palette
- Fully enabled spelling in auto-titles and citations. Including spell as you type and check spelling in document
- Improved rendering of strikethrough and underline
- Improved rendering of caret in zoom sizes different then 100%
- Citation list strips page numbers from citations, citations differing only in page numbers are considered the same and get only one item
- "Deep" application of attributes when applying directly, via style set switch or find and replace: Applying styles, changing fonts, changing faces, applying opentype attributes. This is done on tables citations and auto-titles (and citations/auto-titles inside tables) inside the current selection, including table selection
- Changes in the way character and paragraph style changes made in the "Edit note attributes" sheet are applied.
- Application is "Deep"
- When applying a style, relevant overrides (character or paragraph or both) are removed
- The style is applied on the whole note, not just the parts that used the previously selected style
- When selecting a new paragraph style for note text "Edit note attributes", associated character style (if any) is automatically selected in the character style pop-up
- Updated hyphenation dictionaries
- Mellel guide is now integrated into the application
- Outline now shows the current document position
- Files with unknown extension will now open as plain text
- Export to word format is now done using RTF with .doc extension
- Support for rtf documents with .doc extension
- When importing plain text, rtf, doc and old Mellel documents (open as copy) initial name and window title are set to the original name of the imported file and not "untitled"
- When saving find actions, default name is the last loaded or saved action and not only the last saved
- When splitting table cells, new cell take their attribute from the split cell and not from the defaults
- When adding rows and columns to tables, cell text attribute are taken from adjacent cells and not from the default
- When inserting a new table, cell attributes are taken from the current attributes. Also respecting "Next paragraph style"
- After inserting the table, the cursor is placed inside the first table cell
- Note indexing type pop-up Changed Contiguous to Continuous
- Space is is not added after the inserted text on "smart paste" if the inserted ends with a paragraph break
- Fixed a bug that caused images dragged from within mellel not to have their size adjusted when dropped/pasted inside table cells or narrow columns.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to make incorrect selection when double clicking Greek words containing combining accents
- Font setting for underline distance from the baseline is now respected more precisely
- Line ascent is now calculated without leading for the first line in a page/column/table cell/etc
- Fixed a bug that prevented using the toggle palettes keyboard shortcut (command+*) with the German keyboard layout
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to paste the image url instead of the image itself when dragging or pasting images from Safari
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel not to show the horizontal scroll bar after changing page orientation
- Fixed problem with rendering superscript or subscript small caps
- Fixed a bug that caused difficulties in moving palettes back to the main screen after moving them to a secondary screen
- Palette positions are ensured to be on screen when starting Mellel to adjust for screen configuration changes (adding screens, removing screens)
- Fixed bugs with full screen mode in multiple screens environment
- Fixed a bug that blocked setting the end margin beyond the last tab using the field
Release Notes 2.1.3
- Fixed a problem that caused duplication of auto-titles with "replace all" making changes in the auto-titles (Thanks to Marco Binder)
- Fixed a bug with some text areas in palette seeming disabled after dismissing Find dialogue.
- "Kashida" and "Ligatures" check-boxes are now disabled when working in the Find dialogue
- Fixed a bug that caused "total number of pages" in a footer not to update dynamically while editing the document (thanks to Patrick Jost)
- Fixed a problem that caused the display not to update after changing page size of margins when in "Fit Width" or "Fit Page" zoom mode (thanks to Reiner Baur)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to sometime fail opening compressed documents giving the error "no error" (special thanks to Martin Schuster for helping us here)
- Fixed a bug that broke image height adjustments when the fixed height lines to align horizontally was enabled.
Release Notes 2.1.2
- Fit Page zoom mode
- Fit width zoom mode
- Custom zoom magnification
- Small caps, All caps
- Purchase via KRM
- Updated Latvian hyphenation dictionary
- Improved image insertion via drag and drop. Mellel will now recognise and preserve the file type of dragged images instead of converting all to tiff.
- Contextualisation of Arabic with non opentype fonts will not break on a font run boundary (note, however, that OpenType contextualisation will break in such cases) (Carlos Jódar)
- Added Romanian localisation
- Cmd+Opt+H shortcut for "Hide Others"
- Cmd+Opt+Shift+V for "Paste plain text", Cmd+Opt+Shift+C for "Copy Plain Text"
- XML: Added "extension-hint" element to "image-data" element. This element is ignored when read but can be used to more easily construct the image path when processing Mellel xml (Stephen Still)
- Fixed a problem that caused documents containing surrogate pairs characters to be saved in a corrupt that cannot be opened later under some very rare conditions (William Shepherd)
- Fixed a problem that caused command+i and command+b shortcuts to apply to the wrong window under certain circumstances when switching in and out of full screen mode (Kerim Friedman, Harry A. Hoffner, Jr)
- Fixed a problem that caused "Fit Width" and "Fit Page" keyboard shortcuts not to work in full screen mode (Reiner Baur)
- Fixed a problem that caused dragging of 1 bit tiff images into a Mellel document to fail (Menasheh Steiglitz)
- Fixed a type in RTF font matching dialogue (replacement > replacement) (Marco Fabbri)
- Character Appearance/Language list is now sorted correctly (Guntis Bukalders)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail saving documents containing lists which have an override of character style variation for the symbol style (Magnus Gunnarsson, Holger Kopp-Musick)
- Typographer's quotes: Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to insert a closing quote after a hyphen or dash (Charles Maurer)
- Fixed a problem that caused "Whole Words" option to be ignored when doing backwards search (Arent Greve)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to hyphenate incorrectly words from the user dictionary when the word in the text contains an apostrophe (David Levy)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to hyphenate only the first word in word sequences separated by a non breaking space or a non breaking hyphen (Tomás Znamenácek)
Release Notes 2.1.1
- Paste special
- Added more zoom values
- Localisation: Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish
- Modest performance improvement in general file opening speed
- Significant performance improvement when saving and opening files containing many tables
- Smaller file sizes for files containing many tables
- Added "encoding="UTF-8"" to the xml declaration at the beginning of xml files generated by Mellel
- (MB-899) Fixed a problem that caused "Rendering Document" panel to appear and get stuck on screen when performing undo after replace all (Borat)
- (MB-905) Fixed a problem that caused "Spell as you type" not to work sometimes for new documents (Lance Lichtor)
- (MB-893) Fixed a problem that caused the document window to fill whole screen when opening documents that has been last saved while in full screen mode (Matthew Badura)
- Fixed a problem that caused font menu to appear empty after performing a replace that changes a font face to a face that is not supported by the current font
Release Notes 2.1
- New file format
- Files are saved in a Document Package for easy acess to images used in the document
- XML based document format
- XML is gzipped (optional) to save storage place and transfer times
- Option to open older document as a copy or replace the existing document
- Find And Replace
- Powerful and easy to use regular expression like search engine
- Unique graphical expression editor
- Search and replace by character attributes
- Ignore Diacritics
- Ignore case
- Whole words
- Search within autotitles, notes, headers and footers
- Saving Find Actions
- Find Set
- Find Set window for editing and executing find sets
- In-Place editing of autotitle titles
- Click once and then click again to enter editing
- Click once and type return
- Option click to enter editing directly
- Character style palette
- Quick access to all character style
- Applying style variation
- Apply style
- Edit style
- Delete style
- Create new style
- Paragraph style palette
- Quick access to all paragraph styles
- Apply style
- Edit style
- Delete style
- Create new style
- Full screen display mode
- Added the option to insert autotitles from the contextual menu
- Improved copying of images so that copying and pasting equations (using the PICT format) retains the original image rather then a TIFF rendering of it (Don Bliss)
- "Learned Spellings" file is now saved as XML
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to sometimes refuse changing the list symbol character style (Guntis Bukalders)
- Improved image type selection when pasting. When multiple types of images are present in the clipboard Mellel will choose the type according to the following priority list: PDF, PICT, TIFF, anything else
- Fixed a bug that caused documents to lose their section styles after a "Replace All" or a bibliography scan (Arent Greve, Reiner Baur)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to scan documents for citations after opening them even when the bibliography palette is closed. This caused a significant increase in the time it took to open long documents whether they had citations or not (Carlos Jódar Estrella)
- Big performance improvments of scanning for citations.
- Fixed a problem that caused incorect rtf export of indented or outdented paragraphs for RTL documents
- Fixed a problem that caused uneeded case sensitivity with the user hyphenation dictionary this caused some hyphenations not to work if the entry had a capital letter (Hans-Reinhard Koch)
- Line breaking behavior: Mellel will no longer break a line before a number if the number is preceeded with a hyphe. This prevents breaking sequances such as 12-34-56, MPEG-2 etc. (Tomá? Znamená?ek)
- Fixed a problem that caused the lists in the character style, paragraph style and auto-title palettes to scroll horizontally (Guntis Bukalders)
- Mellel will now use a more standard note style for imported RTF documents rather then use the default note style of the default style set (Nicholas Allott)
- Fixed problems with input methods which handle shift+enter and shift+return
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to hyphenate incorrectly words that contain capital letters
- Fixed a problem that caused gaps to appear in compact view page separators when the page margins are very narrow (David Levy)
- Updated and corrected hyphenation dictionaties (Note: You need to remove the existing dictionaries from ~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/Hyphenation Dictionaries for the changes to take place)
- Fixed a problem that caused full justification with Kashida to break kerning (Behnam)
- Swapped edit and insert buttons in Autonumbering palette
- Fixed a problem that caused OpenType substitutions and positioning operations that involve zero width joiner and zero width non joiner not to execute properly (Patrick Andries)
- Fixed crash on Mac Intel when working with certain OpenType fonts (Shayne Clarke)
Release Notes 2.0.8
- Fractional font size: Can now be set in 0.0001 point increments (e.g. 12.627 pt)
- Equations and Images: Equations and images that include baseline information (e.g., MathMagic) will be pasted with proper baseline adjustment
- Vertical position: Added an option to the image attributes, setting Vertical Position. This will significantly improve correct positioning of inline images
- OpenType: Added default "locl" support, so language specific variations are handled
- Bold and Italic: When pressing Cmd+B or Cmd+I Mellel will now toggle bold or italic for each font in the selected range and avoid unifying the range
- RTF: Fixed a problem that caused subscripted text pasted from word to appear in superscript
- Hyphen is no longer considered part of a word when double-clicking a word or selecting with the Option+Arrow keys
- Hebrew Maqaf (0x05BE) is now handled correctly correctly when breaking lines and detecting word boundaries
- Integrated localised nibs of inline image editor and "update code" dialogue
- Fixed a bug that caused Syriac text contextualisation to be broken when using non-Syriac diacritical marks and the secondary font is Syriac
- Fixed a bug that caused bad word boundary detection (for selection with double click or arrow+option caret movement) in words containing some non-spacing
- Several fixes to localisations
- Updated Italian and Latvian hyphenation dictionaries
Release Notes 2.0.7
- Mac-Intel universal binary: A universal binary version.
Release Notes 2.0.6
- Mac-Intel compatibility: Support for Rosetta.
Release Notes 2.0.5
- Bibliography enhancement: Added "Don't enclose final citation" option.
- Bibliography enhancement: Added "Suppress superscript" option.
- Bibliography enhancement: Added support for font size changes when resolving citations.
- Tables: Some speed improvements when working with tables.
- Arabic, Persian: Mellel will no longer insert a Kashida between lam and alef - this allows better support for fonts which handle this combination with multiple glyphs rather then with a ligature.
- OpenType: fixed a bug that caused incorrect positioning of marks over ligatures when more then one of the ligature components has a mark.
- Bug fix: Improved click detection in the ruler, preventing situations where a tab positioned at the beginning of the ruler cannot be moved or deleted.
- Various fixes to localisations.
Release Notes 2.0.4
- Export of directionality breaking space to RTF.
- Fixed a bug that caused paragraph "Replace styles" to sometimes fail when replacing attribute combinations containing override tabs.
- Fixed a problem that caused a spell check in the entire selection when switching focus between windows (when Check Spelling as You Type is on).
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to crash on launch with the Japanese interface.
- Fixed a problem that caused bad positioning of combining marks over non OpenType Roman fonts
- Updated date in About window.
- updated Page style editor German localisation.
- Updated Esperanto hyphenation dictionary.
Release Notes 2.0.3
- Fixed a bug that prevented editing of style and style set names in "Edit style set" window when using the Hebrew interface.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to print too low, cliping the footer/bottom of page with certain documents
- Integrated updated localizations.
- Updated several hyphenation dictionaries.
- Fixed a problem that caused printing to fail when printing documents containing zero or near zero (below 0.1 of a point) text
- Corrected positioning of diacritical marks over letters extended by a kashida.
- Fixed a bug that caused center aligned autotitles to lose their alignment when positioned at the top of a page when this positioning was caused by fulfilling a "keep with" requierment.
Release notes 2.0.2
- Adds localisations for Czech, French, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese and Serbian.
- Fixes to other localisations.
- Fixed a bug that caused the selection in the main text to remain visible when initiating a search in notes
- OpenType: Fixed a problem that caused some contextual mark positioning not to function
- Fixed a problem that caused some older Mac Hebrew fonts to be recognized incorrectly and not function
- Fixed a problem that caused the superscript attribute to be stripped from the bibliography when scanning the document.
- Fixed a bug that caused page numbering to get messed up when inserting multiple paragraph text (paste, TOC etc) at the begining of a page range
Release Notes 2.0.1
- Fixed a problem which prevented Mellel from running on Mac OS X 10.2.x (Jaguar) and 10.3.x up to 10.3.8.
Release Notes 2.0
- Sections & Section styles
- Columns (RTL & LTR)
- Background color
- Space above columns
- Column balancing
- Gutter width, line, line color, dash and weight
- Hyphenation (Paragraph style)
- Hyphenation settings per paragraph
- Hyphenation zone
- Hyphenation limit
- Min word length and character count before and after hyphen
- Customizable user dictionary
- Keep options (widows and orphans) (Paragraph style)
- Keep whole paragraph together
- Keep n lines at the beginning or end or the paragraph
- Keep with next (Paragraph style)
- Historical forms and Historical Ligatures OpenType features (Character style)
- Dashes table borders
- Dash note separator
- Page background colour (Page style)
- On-Screen Document background color (Document setup)
- Option to update user name and registration number (Mellel->Registration code)
- (Tiger only) Added "Look Up in Dictionary" item to contextual menu
- "Facing pages" - control to document setup (document setup sheet and preferences window). When checked, page margins are considered as inside and outside, when unchecked page margins are left and right
- Option for restarting note counting every section or page range
- Changed handling of images in paragraphs with fixed ("by points") line spacing. When the image option "Adjust fixed line spacing to image" option is checked Mellel will give the line containing the image a height that is a smallest multiple of the line spacing. otherwise, the line will get the the indicated line spacing (as was done in previous versions)
- Table height rounding - Similar to handling of images: when rendering tables inside fixed spacing paragraphs, extra space is added to the bottom row to round the table height to the nearest multiple of the line height.
- Fixed lines spacing - first line is now using the specified height, disregarding the actual ascent/descent of the characters.
- "Space above" paragraph not applied on the first line in a page/column/table cell, etc.
- "Space below" will not be applied on the last line of a section
- Progress bar when opening and making major changes in very long documents
- More compact compact view, eliminated the 20 pixel spacing between pages in compact view
- RTF Import and export
- Headers and Footers
- Section Attributes
- (Import) Added support for symbols/dingbats inserted via Word's Insert->Symbol palette
- Directionality breaking space handling in RTF export
- Citation display in the bibliography palette is shortened like the citation in the document eliminating ID's and so on
- Decreased "detach & drag" sensitivity of palette title bars. Mellel will now wait for a movement of more then 4 pixels before detaching and starting a drag
- When inserting a break (section, page, page style etc) right before or after a CR Mellel will replace the CR with the break
- Improved support for symbol fonts like wingdings, webdings etc you can now use the character palette to insert characters from such fonts (but you still need to set the font in Mellel, it will not be set automatically)
- You can now grab the resizing handles of a selected image even if they lie outside the image line/column
- Added preferences option to control page up and page down scrolling distance (page or screen), option page up/down always gives the reverse behavior
- Added Greek (academy) numbering type (notes, page numbers and list items)
- Added the following secondary font scripts: Syriac, Thaana, Georgian, Ethiopic
- When inserting breaks (column, section, page, page style and line) right before a CR, Mellel will replace the CR with the break instead of inserting it
- Removed limitation on dragging the end margin. You can now drag the end margin over existing tabs and place and drag tabs beyond the end margin. Tabs are drawn dimmed when positioned beyond the end margin
- Fixed a problem that caused a long delay when starting to type with very large fonts containing private range characters (Code 2000 for example)
- Fixed a bug that caused the outline view to get scrolled vertically when clicking and dragging items inside
- Fixed a problem that caused shift+command+arrow strokes not to set the selection anchor, casing the following shift+arrow movements to move the wrong end of the selection
- Zero width joiner is now treated as an invisible character and not drawn
- Mellel will not crash when inserting TOC in documents containing "little people" autotitles
- When an autonumber is selected, inserting an autonumber from the palette or menu will simply replace the autonumber stream instead of inserting a new autonumber with "little people" as the title...
- Fixed a problem that caused the font menu to become unusable after switching into some rotten fonts
- Fixed a bug that caused character style variation attributes of the first character in a note to affect the note symbol and tab
- Fixed a bug that caused underline under elements like page numbers, variables and citations to be thicker then underline under normal text
- Fixed a bug that caused the document to be offset vertically by a few pixels causing the following phenomena:
- a few Pixels missing at the bottom (and a few extra at the top) causing footnotes to be cut at the bottom, especially when in compact view.
- Document "jumping" when clicking for the first time
- Scroll thumb not scrolling till the end of it's slot
- Fixed a problem that caused the document view to vibrate horizontally sometimes when clicked for a while
- Fixed a problem that caused cell padding to be ignore by the paragraph ruler causing margin and tab display to be inaccurate.
- RTF Import: Fixed a bug that caused certain paragraph attributes like space above to be lost when importing numbered lists
- Fixed a bug that caused baseline shift to double when applied on elements such as page numbers, variables, citations etc
- Fixed a problem that caused typographer's quotes not to "close" after a dash (hyphen, em dash, en dash etc.)
- When copying a pice of text that is less then a paragraph to other applications, list attributes are not included (Both styled and plain text copy)
- Tab leaders are now drawn aligned to the tab stop
- Fixed a bug that caused traditional chinese "Convert to simplified chinese" input method option not to work
- Fixed a bug that caused tables placed inside a center/right aligned paragraph to be positioned incorrectly in relation with the margin. This also caused some problems with the cursor rendering causing it to disappear and leave artifacts
- Fixed a problem that caused character attributes such as underline or baseline shift to affect entire tables
- Prevented insertion of page, page style, section and column breaks inside table cells, headers, footers and notes
- Fixed a bug that caused the some input method utility windows to be placed in the wrong location on the screen
- Fixed a bug that caused "next paragraph" style not to function when the previous paragraph is empty