Details about Mellel 2.8.2
- (860) Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail to open documents with track changes turned on under Tiger (10.4).
- Updated localisations.
- Updated the About and the Registration prompt screens.
- (858) Really fixed (that is, re-fixed) a bug that caused dates inserted by pre 2.8 versions to appear garbled in Mellel 2.8.
- (859) Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes fail to open Mellel files with the error “Missing text model dictionary” – the documents opened on second attempt successfully.
- (862) Fixed a problem that would cause Mellel to move the cursor to the next/previous table cell when pressing the arrow keys while there is a selection instead of just moving the cursor to the end/beginning of the selection is expected.
- (861) Fixed a bug that caused style editors “Save” button to become enabled without justification if the style name field got and then lost keyboard focus.
Details about Mellel 2.8.1
- Support for Bookend’s “Copy Notecard and citation” citation insertions.
- Updated localizations.
- Corrected strings in update prompt screen mentioning the 2 years of free upgrades, etc.
- Fixed a bug that caused dates inserted by pre 2.8 versions of Mellel to appear garbled in Mellel 2.8.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang sometimes when choosing to reject all changes after turning off track changes in “Final” mode.
- Fixed two issues in converting older “.mell” documents. Documents are now saved as zipped package, unless stated otherwise in the preferences. Mellel will open the new file in the old location rather then the old file in the trash.
- Fixed spelling in buy mellel nib (Studend->Student).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to treat inserted auto-titles as deleted (showing # as the current number) when in “Final” or “Final with markup” track changes display mode.
- Fixed a bug that caused text to wrap around images incorrectly in sections with non zero “Space above”.
- Fixed a bug that caused marker shortcuts (Edit->Marker) not to function when initially opening a document without opening the menu first (Jason K. Aftosmis).
- When copying text while track changes is on, text is cleared of TC markings by accepting all changes (removing deletions and accepting insertions) and flattened (unhiding hidden insertions, if in “Original” mode).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to leave an extra section break when unscanning a bibliography.
- Fixed problem that caused the style well to overlap the track changes button in some localizations.
- Fixed a bug that caused deleted text to sometimes show as deleted (with a strikethrough) when in Original mode.
RELEASE NOTES 2.8
- Track changes
- Tracking insertions, deletions, replace
- Track character, paragraph, list, section and page attribute changes
- Tracking changes of multiple users
- Ability to move between change locations
- Ability to hi-light only one user’s changes
- 4 modes of display allowing control on the display of insertions or deletions
- Annotation of changes via “Bubbles” or revision marks
- Control of change author name and colour via preferences
- Ability to “Pause” change tracking
- Importing and exporting tracked insertions and deletions to RTF
- Undo across save
- Preferences option to allow choosing between clearing the undo memory when saving or having a fixed amount of undo steps.
- New file format
- Default document format is now a “zipped package”, a package document who is compressed entirely, allowing much better compatibly with non package aware email clients (that is, email clients whose name is not “Apple Mail”) and backup/synchronisation services (mobile me, drop box etc.).
- Preferences option to allow saving in an uncompressed package format
- Sorting paragraphs, words, table rows, table columns or delimited text.
- Sorting alphabetically or numerically
- Secondary sort, allowing to sort text in multiple levels
- Ignore list and ignore delimiter allowing to ignore certain pre-defined words or parenthesised text when sorting
- Quick access to the last performed sort or to simple ascending/descending sort
- Improved RTF export to allow better compatibility with various windows program like WordPad, OpenOffice for windows etc. with regards to accented latin characters.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to open the wrong character or paragraph style for editing when hitting the keyboard shortcut for editing
- Fixed a bug that caused the document window to jump to the font whenever dismissing a dialog that originates from the FindSet or Find windows
- Fixed a bug that caused the vertical scroll bar to remain disabled after pasting text into an empty document when the zoom mode is “fit page”
- Fixed a bug that caused the last paragraph of a list which is the last paragraph of a document to lose its list status when deleting all of it’s text
RELEASE NOTES 2.7.3
- Supports additional citation options with Bookends, allowing citations to come in the format of “Carpenter (2009)”.
RELEASE NOTES 2.7.2
- Various improvements to the Hebrew interface
- Updated QuickLook plug-in
- Some changes to the Find Set window
- Improved behaviour of image resizing in smaller images. Determination of resize handle being grabbed is done based on the proximity of the cursor to the image corner and not in the faulty way it was done in the past
- Changed minimum image size limitation to 2 points. This fixes problems of images being resized when opening a document
- Improved drawing of resize handles in image selection, handles are now drawn smaller if the image is too small
- Enforcing minimum image size in image editor dialogue
- Paragraph direction of auto-title edit dialogue is now set according to the surrounding text direction
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail to export to RTF documents that contain “out of page range” floating elements (floating elements that are invisible because they are assigned to a page that is after the last page in a page range)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang sometimes (very rare) when rendering documents containing wrappable inline images
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when opening RTF files that use Courier Oblique and Helvetica Oblique under tiger. This also caused crashes when pasting text copied from web pages
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when editing citations that has been marked as “Exclude from final document” after scanning
- Fixed a bug that caused character and paragraph keyboard shortcuts to fail every now and then under Snow Leopard
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel not to respect the baseline shift and underline attributes when set to a note symbol
- Fixed problem that caused Mellel to crash when scrolling under tiger
- Fixed a bug that caused the move button to disappear in the Find Set window in the Hebrew interface
RELEASE NOTES 2.7.1
- Rtf export of floating images, rtf export of inline images with a wrap
- Updated Latvian hyphenation dictionary
- updated “Deutsch (reformiert)” hyphenation dictionary
- When resizing images, minimum size is limited to 12×12 points, to ensure a manageable and visible image, when opening older documents, 12×12 minimum image size is enforced
- Added tool-tips to various wrap around options in “Object” palette and image editing dialogue
- Caret is now drawn in either black or white depending on which colour will be the most contrasting to the background colour
- Added Finnish localisation
- More predictable show first page footer/header check-box behaviour. When setting the Show Header or Show Footer for even or add pages, show first page header/footer check-box is automatically checked or unchecked
- Hebrew interface fixes: Fixed problems with page palette and page style editor tabs in Hebrew interface. Auto-title sheet – main format tab is now selected when opening the document. Statistics palette is symmetrized.
- Hebrew interface: lists in the palettes (Character style palette, Paragraph Style palette, marker palette, bibliography palette are now drawn RTL when in Hebrew interface
- Fixed a bug under 10.4 (Tiger) that caused Mellel to crash when scrolling the document window
- Fixed a bug that caused dragging text clippings to the document window to fail
- Fixed a problem that caused order of footnotes to get mangled sometimes
- Localisation fixes
- Updated the Kagi Registration Module. This should resolve some issues with registration under 10.4 (Tiger)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when rendering documents width floating images whose wrapping is “skip” under OS 10.4 (Tiger)
- Fixed a bug that caused floating images placed over table to be inserted in the middle of a table when converted to an inline image
- Fixed a bug that caused section breaks following a column break to force an unnecessary page break
- Fixed a bug that caused strange selection behaviour in documents containing citations marked as “Exclude from final document” after a bibliography scan
- Fixed a bug that caused dragging outline items to the bottom of the outline to fail
- Fixed a bug that caused inline images drawing to refresh incorrectly when the image is at the bottom of a column and adding lines above it
- Paragraph and Character style palettes are disabled when no document is opened
- Fixed an issue that caused the page palette tabs to be adjusted improperly when initially opening the program
- Fixed a bug that caused documents to open sometimes with a bad title
- Fixed a bug that caused lists ending a page to cause lists on the next page to continue the list numbering even thought a non list line/lines separate the two
- Fixed a bug that caused undo to take too long when undoing changes at the end of the document
RELEASE NOTES 2.7
- Floating images
- Arrange submenu to set order of floating images
- Wrap around floating and inline images
- Added setup selection pop-up menu in auto-title palette
- Added “List Separately in TOC” option to auto-title flows, option is
- valid only for tag flows, on by default
- added “Reset Numbering” option (on by default) to auto-title flows
- added “Insert before” in auto-title sheet
- “Object” palette to control images frame, background colour, wrap, alpha etc
- Image transparency (Alpha)
- Page background image.
- Auto-titles can span more then 6 lines
- Auto-title can start anywhere on a line
- Hyphenation now works with citations
- Hyphenation now works with references
- Changed behaviour of drag and drop: when dragging between parts of the same document (from a table to the main text, from a note to the main text etc.) the drag is considered to be a “move” (source is removed from the original position) and not a copy
- Line breaks are filtered from the title text when producing TOC
- Changed behaviour for cross-reference formatting of auto-title format. If the surrounding attributes have a non base variation, the variation overrides any variation in the auto-title title (applies only if the auto-title format indicates “use surrounding”)
- Improved keyboard navigation inside, into and out of tables.
- When moving the cursor via the arrow keys, the cursor will move to the cell above, below to the right or to the left when the end or start of the text is reached
- When extending the selection using shift+arrow keys the selection becomes a multiple cell selection when reaching the cell edge
- When above or below a table, the cursor will move into the table when pressing the down arrow button (if above) or the up arrow (if below), when going over the line end preceding the table the cursor will enter the first cell (if above) or the last cell (if below)
- When above or below a table and extending the selection using shift+arrow key, the whole table is selected rather then being entered
- Command+arrow key will move to the cell above, below to the right or the left and the whole text is selected
- Tabbed UI for page attributes (palette and page style editor)
- Added “Edit image” context menu item (shown only with images, of course)
- Fixed a bug that caused a cross-reference target id’s to be changed to ” copy” when copying and pasting or dragging them around (happened when the targets had references pointing to them)
- When adding rows/columns to tables, the marker value of the last row/column cells are not copied to the new column
- Fixed a bug that caused the drag image (Image shown while dragging) of inline images to appear in the wrong size when the document zoom is not 100%
- Fixed a bug that caused the message “ERObjectMap:initWithSourceObjects:mappedObjects nil argument or non matching object counts” to appear sometimes in the console when opening the style set window
- Fixed a bug that disabled pasting of text from the document into a cross reference format
- Fixed a bug that caused option+arrow movements (move by word) to lump together adjacent words and cross references as one word
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to jump to the end of the document when clicking “Previous” in the find panel when the “From beginning” option is on (and also vice versa when clicking “Next” after clicking “Previous”
- Fixed a bug that caused PICT images to be copied incorrectly into the clipboard, preventing them from being pasted into some applications (most notably MathType)
- Fixed a bug that caused pasting of images copied form the finder (by selecting the file and copying) to produce a blank image
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash with documents containing illegal auto-title references inside tables
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes crash when opening documents containing conditional x-refs in hyphenated paragraphs
- Fixed a bug that caused cross references to targets inside note to always be considered “below” the reference even when the reference is in a page which is after the location of the note
RELEASE NOTES 2.6.2
- Mellel is now compatible with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6).
RELEASE NOTES 2.6.1
- Added Greek Localisation.
- Mellel will now try to continue showing the same page after switching between view modes (Mellel view, Compact view and full screen).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail to save files under the Spanish localisation if the selected default auto-title setup doesn’t exist (Reported by: Emerson Avery).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes fail pasting text from other applications (most notably- MS Word).
- Fixed a bug that caused citations to turn to ??? when scanning with Bookends and Sente.
- Fixed a bug that caused copy (to other applications) to be disabled after registering until the program is restarted.
RELEASE NOTES 2.6
- Automatic update:
- Check for updates can be done automatically or manually.
- When updates are available, details of the update are viewable from within the application.
- Mellel determines users eligibility to the update and informs the user about his/hers status.
- Update is automatically downloaded and installed, integrated with the payment.
- QuickLook plug-in – allows QuickLook and Finder previews of Mellel documents.
- Very accurate rendering of the documents, giving a very precise preview and QuickLook (except hyphenation).
- Preferences option to limit number of pages in QuickLook previews.
- Added “Match Style Attributes” when switching style sets.
- “Smart Style Application” – when applying character styles, Mellel maps overrides to their closes matching variation in the style.
- The more traditional “Wipe all overrides” style application is also available by holding the option key while applying the style.
- “Export PDF” option.
- Re-Arranged “Statistics” palette.
- “Spread view” options: One up, Two up, Four up and Spread.
- Added the following encodings for plain text export and import: Japanese (Mac), Japanese (Windows), Japanese (Shift-JIS), Japanese (EUC), Traditional Chinese (Mac), Traditional Chinese (Windows), Simplified Chinese (Mac), Simplified Chinese (Windows), Chinese (GB18030), Korean (Mac), Korean (Windows), Korean (ISO2022-KR), Korean (EUC).
- Added support for Japanese and Chinese to RTF, this improves compatibility with word and text edit for importing and copying Japanese and Chinese texts.
- Enabled editing of document styles.
- Much improved mechanism for matching styles when opening documents, prevents many problems of document style duplication and inconsistencies in style handling.
- When creating a style “by example” the style editing dialogue is shown.
- Better determination of associated character styles when creating a new paragraph style.
- Style editors now allow editing the style name.
- When pasting RTF text (from Word, for example), footnotes and endnotes are not discarded.
- All auto-title elements (numbers and fixes text) are now counted in the statistics.
- Text of Notes referred to inside the selection is not counted in the selection statistics.
- Updated hyphenation dictionaries.
- New method for determining the ideal size and position for the document window (for new documents and when pressing the zoom button).
- RTF font matching table is now sorted alphabetically.
- Improved RTF export of cross references, the reference is rendered as text in the rtf, except for page numbers which keep pointing to the target (bookmark, auto-title etc).
- Improved support for vowel marks in Windows fonts.
- Selection in the the auto-title palette list is now remembered for documents even after the list is temporarily cleared when showing the auto-title edit panel.
- Check-boxes for “Search inside” options are now adjusted to better reflect the actual available options. When “Search in selection” is checked “main text” is forced to be checked and disabled (to disallow changes), footnotes and headers/footers are unchecked and disabled.
- Changed character style consolidation policy for RTF import (including rich text paste from other applications): Instead of creating a separate style for each family+face+size combination, Mellel will now create a basic style for each family+size combination and treat face changes as overrides. This gives better results for “Smart character style” application and also reduces the amount of style clutter in imported RTF documents.
- Restored the functionality of citation option double-click (in text) to switch to bibliography application and search for it (like option double click in the palette).
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to reset “Auto title prev#” items in cross references to level 1 when re-opening a document.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to ignore images in “Insert Menu Items” folder if their extension was not in lowercase.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when closing documents while editing a table cell inside a header/footer.
- Fixed a bug that caused strange characters to appear in the copied text when using the selection as plain text (Look Up in Dictionary, Use Selection For find, Search in bibliography database etc.).
- Fixed a bug that caused the character attributes of the selection to be set to the default rather then the surrounding text when opening a saved document whose saved selection is an insertion point.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to add a redundant paragraph break when inserting style text from other applications (Paste, Services etc.) this caused some trouble with Typinator and other programs.
- Fixed a bug that caused tool-tips not to appear for the tab well.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when entering a registration code without entering a user name in the registration dialogue box.
- Fixed a bug that caused PICT images not to be exported to rtf if the image was obtained via rtf import.
- Fixed a bug that caused failure to insert auto-titles that request a title when the find window is the front window.
- Fixed a problem that caused applying character styles on table selections (multiple cells) not to remove overrides in empty cells.
- Fixed an issue that caused applying overrides like bold and italic (via command+B and command+I) not to effect empty table cells in table selections.
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to convert PICT images to bitmap when exporting to rtf (or copying and pasting) causing much trouble with equations pasted from MathType and EquationEditor.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when opening some RTF files if the RTF font mapping table contains references to fonts which are no longer installed on the system.
- Removed redundant error messages when cancelling RTF imports and old document opening.
- Removed double display of error messages upon failure to open Mellel documents.
- Fixed a problem that caused the “Reading RTF” progress panel to appear mysteriously at the background after cancelling an RTF import (by clicking “Cancel” in the font matching panel) and then trying to import an RTF again.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang and crash when searching for find expressions containing citation, bookmark or reference elements which are set to repeat, greedy and negated.
- Mellel no longer ignores the “negated” check-box for special character elements like tabs, cr, page breaks, etc.
- Fixed a bug that caused case mapping (All caps, small caps) to produce gibberish characters sometimes.
- Cross references are now correctly exported to plain text.
- Cross references are now correctly exported to OPML.
- Fixed a bug that caused strange behaviour when inserting notes right after changing the style set in an empty document.
- Fixed a bug that caused insertion of an invisible character when extracting the selection as plain text (for “Use selection for find”, creating auto-titles etc).
- Fixed a bug that caused paragraphs to adopt the previous paragraphs attributes the insertion point is at the beginning of the paragraph when saving the document.
- Font family menu is now sorted by real alphabetic order.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when quitting sometimes.
RELEASE NOTES 2.5
- Can be inserted in text
- Can be searched
- Appear in the outline
- Hi-lighted on screen
- Can be option double clicked to jump to the first reference to it
- Context menu
- Can refer to page, note number, auto-title format, auto-title range start and end, auto-title number, auto-title title, auto-title previous number and image name
- Conditional page number elements, allow custom text when referring to targets above, below, next page, previous page and opposite page
- Can be searched
- Can refer to virtual targets
- Reference formats can be saved and recalled
- Serve as links in PDF
- Hi-lighted on screen (optional)
- Can be option double clicked to jump to the target
- Can be command double clicked to jump to a similar reference (pointing to the same target)
- Context menu
- Reference edit dialogue
- Allows to brows existing targets
- Allows to assign auto-titles and images as targets
- Allows to define virtual targets
- Cross reference palette
- Insert Bookmark
- Insert Reference
- Navigate between references
- Image Title attribute
- Can serve as reference targets
- Can serve as targets
- New format editor for auto-titles
- Ad-hoc styling to auto-title format elements and paragraph attributes
- Spotlight plug-in now included in application bundle
- Improved selection saving, mellel now restores selection inside table cell and notes when opening documents
- Added support for “File Menu Items” and “Insert Menu items” folders
- Spotlight plug-in is now integrated into the program package
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to insert a return instead of page break when pressing shift+enter on aluminium keyboards
- Fixed problems with fonts using type 6 cmap format
- improved support for RTF char-sets
- Kamatz Qatan (U+05C7) is now properly skipped when performing “ignore diacritics” search
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel’s document view to vibrate when clicked with certain documents
- Fixed appearance of outline show/hide button under
- Fixed a bug in RTF import from Wordsmith which caused all text to become black on black
- Fixed a bug that caused striked out text from Cocoa applications to be pasted as plain text
- Edit->Bibliography->Enter Citation Menually menu item is now disabled when editing a header/footer
- Fixed problems that caused cropping and inaccuracy in scaled images
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to include the font height of a paragraph break (return, page break, section break etc.) in the calculation of line height which caused strange line spacing when such characters are applied with an unusually big font size
- Fixed a bug that caused the statistics palette to count every Cyrillic letter as a word
- When switching style sets, styles within auto-title titles (in text) and the non-visible part of a citation are matched
- Fixed a bug that caused crashes and other problems sometimes when selecting table cells while the statistics palette is open
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when displaying pages containing mentions to auto-title flows that are not used in the text
- Fixed capitalisation in the registration window (User name and Registration code)
- Added support for image file drags with the “tif” extension (“tiff” with single ‘f’)
- Improved selection saving, mellel now restores selection inside table cell and notes when opening documents
RELEASE NOTES 22.214.171.124
- Improved handling of RTF files generated by Leopard’s TextEdit
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when typing control+return
- “Load Find Set” window can be resized
- Fixed a bug that caused dragging to fail in the style sets, find sets and note streams window under Leopard
- Removed unneeded logging when opening cocoa rtf files
RELEASE NOTES 126.96.36.199
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when rendering certain documents
- Statistics palette will treat digit sequences separated by number separators (comma, period, colon etc) as single words (Jakob Vicari)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel not to count a paragraph in selection if the paragraph break wasn’t selected (Jakob Vicari)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to sometimes not count the first word of a paragraph (Jolin M Warren)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when pressing tab in the last cell of the table when editing a header/foooter in the page style editing dialogue (Hans Martin Kraemer)
- Fixed a bug that caused the Table palette not to adjust correctly after making changes while editing a single cell (Steve Luke)
- Fixed a bug that caused a faint grey line to appear above or below a line while typing (Lutz)
- Integrated updated localisations
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to sometimes fail adding rows and columns to tables while editing a cell
RELEASE NOTES 2.2.7
- OPML Import and Export.
- Table Improvements:
- Add row and column “in place”
- Add row when pressing tab in the last cell
- Equalize cells vertically
- Contextual Menu in ruler.
- Remove all tabs command
- Add Tab Stops dialog
- Improved statistics palette.
- Updated hyphenation dictionaries.
- Enabled Services menu items that replace the selection with an image (Services like LaTeXiT, for example)
- Fixed a problem that caused rtf documents containing greek characters exported from Mellel to convert incorrectly when opening with MS Word (Mike Saia)
- Fixed a bug that caused bibliography scan to fail with documents containing empty citations
- Some performance enhancements with longer documents
- Fixed a problem that caused the outline view not to update immediately after changing numbering setups or undoing such changes
- Fixed a bug that caused the style sets window to open with the wrong style set selected when invoked from a full screen mode (Reiner Baur)
- Fixed a problem that caused the document view to sometimes vibrate when clicked (Steve Hodgson)
- Mellel now “digs in” Auto-titles, tables, citations and footnotes when doing “Check spelling” via the spelling palette (Jolin M Warren)
- Mellel now digs in Auto-titles, tables and citations when checking spelling per paragraph (Jolin M Warren)
- Improved error passing when opening documents, avoiding the famous “error: no error” message
- Fixes for Leopard beta compatibility
RELEASE NOTES 188.8.131.52
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash sometimes when turning “spell as you type” off and then performing outline selections or auto-title manipulations.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to behave erratically when inserting a footnote inside a table while the outline view is visible.
- Character and paragraph style palettes are now updated automatically when switching between style sets.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash sometimes when opening the page style editor from the style set window.
- Corrected “Update Prompt” wording.
- Fixed a bug that caused double clicking a note number not to jump to the note reference if the note text begins with a citation, table, image, etc.
RELEASE NOTES 2.2.5
- “May Split” option in note style.
- A Paragraphs “Space above” is no longer added to the preceding paragraph space below, instead, the bigger of the two is used.
- Guide in German.
- “No Marker” option when searching. Allows to find unmarked text or to remove the marker from replaced text.
- Disabled the option to have nothing selected in the character fill and stroke widget.
- Typing in tables performance optimisations.
- Avoiding redundant updates of paragraph, character and marker palettes.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to crash when making selections in documents containing only tag level auto-titles (no structure) while the outline pane is open.
- Fixed a bug that caused text pasted from word to be pasted as an image.
- Fixed a bug that caused slowdown when typing inside footnotes while the outline view was open.
- Fixed a bug that caused the outline selection to disappear when clicking on the outline while editing a table.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when performing spell check in document with documents containing tables.
- Fixed a bug that caused the mellel scroll view to become clipped after exiting full screen mode if during the full screen display the toggle outline command is invoked.
- Fixed a problem that caused images inside table cells to be duplicated sometimes when splitting or adding cells.
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to hang sometimes when invoking “Check spelling in selection”.
- Fixed a bug that caused markers not to be saved in find actions.
RELEASE NOTES 2.2.1
- 17 Language versions (localisations): Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, French, Finish, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.
- Marker menu (Edit->Markers)
- Marker contextual Menu
- Marker colours in Marker palette
- Updated Help and user guide
- Updated default templates
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to fail opening files containing empty citations
- Shortened marker palette
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to always jump back to the outline location of the selection when disclosing and collapsing items in the outline
- Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented mentions from updating immediately when renaming an auto-title
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to render the wrong mention in pages full with endnotes
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to prefer the image URL string over the image when dragging images from Firefox
- Fixed a bug that caused text in Edit page style header/footer fields to be hidden when first opening the dialogue
- Fixed a bug that prevented getting into “in place” citation edit by pressing return inside a footnote
- Fixed a bug that disabled toggling italic off via command+I
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to hang when opening the bibliography palette with certain documents
- Slight change to the way auto-title setup changes are applied on documents. When a title element style is changed in the setup, the change is applied including the variation unless another variation is already applied on the title text
RELEASE NOTES 2.2
- Styled auto-title titles
- Scan in document bibliography integration
- Temp and Final citations
- Styles in citations
- Citations can break across lines
- In-Place editing of citations
- Citations can be merged into groups via drag and drop or consecutive pastes.
- Scan in document
- Verify citations
- Citation context when resolving citations
- Temp and Final citations
- Sync support in bibliography
- Special bibliography section
- Font Fill, Stroke and background control (colour, weight, dash, no-fill)
- Underline/Strikethrough control (colour, weight, dash)
- Added line types: Line above, Double underline, Double Strike through and under and above
- Marker Palette
- Apply and remove markers from the list
- Search for next/previous marked text by using the buttons
- Search for next/previous text marked with a particular marker by command double clicking marker name (next marker) or option command clicking for previous.
- Custom marker names in “Document Info”
- Default maker names in preferences
- Find & Replace – you can apply marker attributes on the find or replace field
- Printing – added a “Mellel” section to the printing sheet. Option to turn on marker printing
- RTF and DOC export – option to turn on export of markings
- Marker Palette
- Fully enabled spelling in auto-titles and citations. Including spell as you type and check spelling in document
- Improved rendering of strikethrough and underline
- Improved rendering of caret in zoom sizes different then 100%
- Citation list strips page numbers from citations, citations differing only in page numbers are considered the same and get only one item
- “Deep” application of attributes when applying directly, via style set switch or find and replace: Applying styles, changing fonts, changing faces, applying opentype attributes. This is done on tables citations and auto-titles (and citations/auto-titles inside tables) inside the current selection, including table selection
- Changes in the way character and paragraph style changes made in the “Edit note attributes” sheet are applied.
- Application is “Deep”
- When applying a style, relevant overrides (character or paragraph or both) are removed
- The style is applied on the whole note, not just the parts that used the previously selected style
- When selecting a new paragraph style for note text “Edit note attributes”, associated character style (if any) is automatically selected in the character style pop-up
- Updated hyphenation dictionaries
- Mellel guide is now integrated into the application
- Outline now shows the current document position
- Files with unknown extension will now open as plain text
- Export to word format is now done using RTF with .doc extension
- Support for rtf documents with .doc extension
- When importing plain text, rtf, doc and old Mellel documents (open as copy) initial name and window title are set to the original name of the imported file and not “untitled”
- When saving find actions, default name is the last loaded or saved action and not only the last saved
- When splitting table cells, new cell take their attribute from the split cell and not from the defaults
- When adding rows and columns to tables, cell text attribute are taken from adjacent cells and not from the default
- When inserting a new table, cell attributes are taken from the current attributes. Also respecting “Next paragraph style”
- After inserting the table, the cursor is placed inside the first table cell
- Note indexing type pop-up Changed Contiguous to Continuous
- Space is is not added after the inserted text on “smart paste” if the inserted ends with a paragraph break
- Fixed a bug that caused images dragged from within mellel not to have their size adjusted when dropped/pasted inside table cells or narrow columns.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to make incorrect selection when double clicking Greek words containing combining accents
- Font setting for underline distance from the baseline is now respected more precisely
- Line ascent is now calculated without leading for the first line in a page/column/table cell/etc
- Fixed a bug that prevented using the toggle palettes keyboard shortcut (command+*) with the German keyboard layout
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to paste the image url instead of the image itself when dragging or pasting images from Safari
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel not to show the horizontal scroll bar after changing page orientation
- Fixed problem with rendering superscript or subscript small caps
- Fixed a bug that caused difficulties in moving palettes back to the main screen after moving them to a secondary screen
- Palette positions are ensured to be on screen when starting Mellel to adjust for screen configuration changes (adding screens, removing screens)
- Fixed bugs with full screen mode in multiple screens environment
- Fixed a bug that blocked setting the end margin beyond the last tab using the field
RELEASE NOTES 2.1.3
- Fixed a problem that caused duplication of auto-titles with “replace all” making changes in the auto-titles (Thanks to Marco Binder)
- Fixed a bug with some text areas in palette seeming disabled after dismissing Find dialogue.
- “Kashida” and “Ligatures” check-boxes are now disabled when working in the Find dialogue
- Fixed a bug that caused “total number of pages” in a footer not to update dynamically while editing the document (thanks to Patrick Jost)
- Fixed a problem that caused the display not to update after changing page size of margins when in “Fit Width” or “Fit Page” zoom mode (thanks to Reiner Baur)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to sometime fail opening compressed documents giving the error “no error” (special thanks to Martin Schuster for helping us here)
- Fixed a bug that broke image height adjustments when the fixed height lines to align horizontally was enabled.
RELEASE NOTES 2.1.2
- Fit Page zoom mode
- Fit width zoom mode
- Custom zoom magnification
- Small caps, All caps
- Purchase via KRM
- Updated Latvian hyphenation dictionary
- Improved image insertion via drag and drop. Mellel will now recognise and preserve the file type of dragged images instead of converting all to tiff.
- Contextualisation of Arabic with non opentype fonts will not break on a font run boundary (note, however, that OpenType contextualisation will break in such cases) (Carlos Jódar)
- Added Romanian localisation
- Cmd+Opt+H shortcut for “Hide Others”
- Cmd+Opt+Shift+V for “Paste plain text”, Cmd+Opt+Shift+C for “Copy Plain Text”
- XML: Added “extension-hint” element to “image-data” element. This element is ignored when read but can be used to more easily construct the image path when processing Mellel xml (Stephen Still)
- Fixed a problem that caused documents containing surrogate pairs characters to be saved in a corrupt that cannot be opened later under some very rare conditions (William Shepherd)
- Fixed a problem that caused command+i and command+b shortcuts to apply to the wrong window under certain circumstances when switching in and out of full screen mode (Kerim Friedman, Harry A. Hoffner, Jr)
- Fixed a problem that caused “Fit Width” and “Fit Page” keyboard shortcuts not to work in full screen mode (Reiner Baur)
- Fixed a problem that caused dragging of 1 bit tiff images into a Mellel document to fail (Menasheh Steiglitz)
- Fixed a type in RTF font matching dialogue (replacement > replacement) (Marco Fabbri)
- Character Appearance/Language list is now sorted correctly (Guntis Bukalders)
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to fail saving documents containing lists which have an override of character style variation for the symbol style (Magnus Gunnarsson, Holger Kopp-Musick)
- Typographer’s quotes: Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to insert a closing quote after a hyphen or dash (Charles Maurer)
- Fixed a problem that caused “Whole Words” option to be ignored when doing backwards search (Arent Greve)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to hyphenate incorrectly words from the user dictionary when the word in the text contains an apostrophe (David Levy)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to hyphenate only the first word in word sequences separated by a non breaking space or a non breaking hyphen (Tomás Znamenácek)
RELEASE NOTES 2.1.1
- Paste special
- Added more zoom values
- Localisation: Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish
- Modest performance improvement in general file opening speed
- Significant performance improvement when saving and opening files containing many tables
- Smaller file sizes for files containing many tables
- Added “encoding=”UTF-8″” to the xml declaration at the beginning of xml files generated by Mellel
- (MB-899) Fixed a problem that caused “Rendering Document” panel to appear and get stuck on screen when performing undo after replace all (Borat)
- (MB-905) Fixed a problem that caused “Spell as you type” not to work sometimes for new documents (Lance Lichtor)
- (MB-893) Fixed a problem that caused the document window to fill whole screen when opening documents that has been last saved while in full screen mode (Matthew Badura)
- Fixed a problem that caused font menu to appear empty after performing a replace that changes a font face to a face that is not supported by the current font
RELEASE NOTES 2.1
- New file format
- Files are saved in a Document Package for easy acess to images used in the document
- XML based document format
- XML is gzipped (optional) to save storage place and transfer times
- Option to open older document as a copy or replace the existing document
- Find And Replace
- Powerful and easy to use regular expression like search engine
- Unique graphical expression editor
- Search and replace by character attributes
- Ignore Diacritics
- Ignore case
- Whole words
- Search within autotitles, notes, headers and footers
- Saving Find Actions
- Find Set
- Find Set window for editing and executing find sets
- In-Place editing of autotitle titles
- Click once and then click again to enter editing
- Click once and type return
- Option click to enter editing directly
- Character style palette
- Quick access to all character style
- Applying style variation
- Apply style
- Edit style
- Delete style
- Create new style
- Paragraph style palette
- Quick access to all paragraph styles
- Apply style
- Edit style
- Delete style
- Create new style
- Full screen display mode
- Added the option to insert autotitles from the contextual menu
- Improved copying of images so that copying and pasting equations (using the PICT format) retains the original image rather then a TIFF rendering of it (Don Bliss)
- “Learned Spellings” file is now saved as XML
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to sometimes refuse changing the list symbol character style (Guntis Bukalders)
- Improved image type selection when pasting. When multiple types of images are present in the clipboard Mellel will choose the type according to the following priority list: PDF, PICT, TIFF, anything else
- Fixed a bug that caused documents to lose their section styles after a “Replace All” or a bibliography scan (Arent Greve, Reiner Baur)
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to scan documents for citations after opening them even when the bibliography palette is closed. This caused a significant increase in the time it took to open long documents whether they had citations or not (Carlos Jódar Estrella)
- Big performance improvments of scanning for citations.
- Fixed a problem that caused incorect rtf export of indented or outdented paragraphs for RTL documents
- Fixed a problem that caused uneeded case sensitivity with the user hyphenation dictionary this caused some hyphenations not to work if the entry had a capital letter (Hans-Reinhard Koch)
- Line breaking behavior: Mellel will no longer break a line before a number if the number is preceeded with a hyphe. This prevents breaking sequances such as 12-34-56, MPEG-2 etc. (Tomá? Znamená?ek)
- Fixed a problem that caused the lists in the character style, paragraph style and auto-title palettes to scroll horizontally (Guntis Bukalders)
- Mellel will now use a more standard note style for imported RTF documents rather then use the default note style of the default style set (Nicholas Allott)
- Fixed problems with input methods which handle shift+enter and shift+return
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to hyphenate incorrectly words that contain capital letters
- Fixed a problem that caused gaps to appear in compact view page separators when the page margins are very narrow (David Levy)
- Updated and corrected hyphenation dictionaties (Note: You need to remove the existing dictionaries from ~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/Hyphenation Dictionaries for the changes to take place)
- Fixed a problem that caused full justification with Kashida to break kerning (Behnam)
- Swapped edit and insert buttons in Autonumbering palette
- Fixed a problem that caused OpenType substitutions and positioning operations that involve zero width joiner and zero width non joiner not to execute properly (Patrick Andries)
- Fixed crash on Mac Intel when working with certain OpenType fonts (Shayne Clarke)
RELEASE NOTES 2.0.8
- Fractional font size: Can now be set in 0.0001 point increments (e.g. 12.627 pt)
- Equations and Images: Equations and images that include baseline information (e.g., MathMagic) will be pasted with proper baseline adjustment
- Vertical position: Added an option to the image attributes, setting Vertical Position. This will significantly improve correct positioning of inline images
- OpenType: Added default “locl” support, so language specific variations are handled
- Bold and Italic: When pressing Cmd+B or Cmd+I Mellel will now toggle bold or italic for each font in the selected range and avoid unifying the range
- RTF: Fixed a problem that caused subscripted text pasted from word to appear in superscript
- Hyphen is no longer considered part of a word when double-clicking a word or selecting with the Option+Arrow keys
- Hebrew Maqaf (0x05BE) is now handled correctly correctly when breaking lines and detecting word boundaries
- Integrated localised nibs of inline image editor and “update code” dialogue
- Fixed a bug that caused Syriac text contextualisation to be broken when using non-Syriac diacritical marks and the secondary font is Syriac
- Fixed a bug that caused bad word boundary detection (for selection with double click or arrow+option caret movement) in words containing some non-spacing
- Several fixes to localisations
- Updated Italian and Latvian hyphenation dictionaries
RELEASE NOTES 2.0.7
- Mac-Intel universal binary: A universal binary version.
RELEASE NOTES 2.0.6
- Mac-Intel compatibility: Support for Rosetta.
RELEASE NOTES 2.0.5
- Bibliography enhancement: Added “Don’t enclose final citation” option.
- Bibliography enhancement: Added “Suppress superscript” option.
- Bibliography enhancement: Added support for font size changes when resolving citations.
- Tables: Some speed improvements when working with tables.
- Arabic, Persian: Mellel will no longer insert a Kashida between lam and alef – this allows better support for fonts which handle this combination with multiple glyphs rather then with a ligature.
- OpenType: fixed a bug that caused incorrect positioning of marks over ligatures when more then one of the ligature components has a mark.
- Bug fix: Improved click detection in the ruler, preventing situations where a tab positioned at the beginning of the ruler cannot be moved or deleted.
- Various fixes to localisations.
RELEASE NOTES 2.0.4
- Export of directionality breaking space to RTF.
- Fixed a bug that caused paragraph “Replace styles” to sometimes fail when replacing attribute combinations containing override tabs.
- Fixed a problem that caused a spell check in the entire selection when switching focus between windows (when Check Spelling as You Type is on).
- Fixed a problem that caused Mellel to crash on launch with the Japanese interface.
- Fixed a problem that caused bad positioning of combining marks over non OpenType Roman fonts
- Updated date in About window.
- updated Page style editor German localisation.
- Updated Esperanto hyphenation dictionary.
RELEASE NOTES 2.0.3
- Fixed a bug that prevented editing of style and style set names in “Edit style set” window when using the Hebrew interface.
- Fixed a bug that caused Mellel to print too low, cliping the footer/bottom of page with certain documents
- Integrated updated localizations.
- Updated several hyphenation dictionaries.
- Fixed a problem that caused printing to fail when printing documents containing zero or near zero (below 0.1 of a point) text
- Corrected positioning of diacritical marks over letters extended by a kashida.
- Fixed a bug that caused center aligned autotitles to lose their alignment when positioned at the top of a page when this positioning was caused by fulfilling a “keep with” requierment.
RELEASE NOTES 2.0.2
- Adds localisations for Czech, French, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese and Serbian.
- Fixes to other localisations.
- Fixed a bug that caused the selection in the main text to remain visible when initiating a search in notes
- OpenType: Fixed a problem that caused some contextual mark positioning not to function
- Fixed a problem that caused some older Mac Hebrew fonts to be recognized incorrectly and not function
- Fixed a problem that caused the superscript attribute to be stripped from the bibliography when scanning the document.
- Fixed a bug that caused page numbering to get messed up when inserting multiple paragraph text (paste, TOC etc) at the begining of a page range
RELEASE NOTES 2.0.1
- Fixed a problem which prevented Mellel from running on Mac OS X 10.2.x (Jaguar) and 10.3.x up to 10.3.8.
RELEASE NOTES 2.0
- Sections & Section styles
- Columns (RTL & LTR)
- Background color
- Space above columns
- Column balancing
- Gutter width, line, line color, dash and weight
- Hyphenation (Paragraph style)
- Hyphenation settings per paragraph
- Hyphenation zone
- Hyphenation limit
- Min word length and character count before and after hyphen
- Customizable user dictionary
- Keep options (widows and orphans) (Paragraph style)
- Keep whole paragraph together
- Keep n lines at the beginning or end or the paragraph
- Keep with next (Paragraph style)
- Historical forms and Historical Ligatures OpenType features (Character style)
- Dashes table borders
- Dash note separator
- Page background colour (Page style)
- On-Screen Document background color (Document setup)
- Option to update user name and registration number (Mellel->Registration code)
- (Tiger only) Added “Look Up in Dictionary” item to contextual menu
- “Facing pages” – control to document setup (document setup sheet and preferences window). When checked, page margins are considered as inside and outside, when unchecked page margins are left and right
- Option for restarting note counting every section or page range
- Changed handling of images in paragraphs with fixed (“by points”) line spacing. When the image option “Adjust fixed line spacing to image” option is checked Mellel will give the line containing the image a height that is a smallest multiple of the line spacing. otherwise, the line will get the the indicated line spacing (as was done in previous versions)
- Table height rounding – Similar to handling of images: when rendering tables inside fixed spacing paragraphs, extra space is added to the bottom row to round the table height to the nearest multiple of the line height.
- Fixed lines spacing – first line is now using the specified height, disregarding the actual ascent/descent of the characters.
- “Space above” paragraph not applied on the first line in a page/column/table cell, etc.
- “Space below” will not be applied on the last line of a section
- Progress bar when opening and making major changes in very long documents
- More compact compact view, eliminated the 20 pixel spacing between pages in compact view
- RTF Import and export
- Headers and Footers
- Section Attributes
- (Import) Added support for symbols/dingbats inserted via Word’s Insert->Symbol palette
- Directionality breaking space handling in RTF export
- Citation display in the bibliography palette is shortened like the citation in the document eliminating ID’s and so on
- Decreased “detach & drag” sensitivity of palette title bars. Mellel will now wait for a movement of more then 4 pixels before detaching and starting a drag
- When inserting a break (section, page, page style etc) right before or after a CR Mellel will replace the CR with the break
- Improved support for symbol fonts like wingdings, webdings etc you can now use the character palette to insert characters from such fonts (but you still need to set the font in Mellel, it will not be set automatically)
- You can now grab the resizing handles of a selected image even if they lie outside the image line/column
- Added preferences option to control page up and page down scrolling distance (page or screen), option page up/down always gives the reverse behavior
- Added Greek (academy) numbering type (notes, page numbers and list items)
- Added the following secondary font scripts: Syriac, Thaana, Georgian, Ethiopic
- When inserting breaks (column, section, page, page style and line) right before a CR, Mellel will replace the CR with the break instead of inserting it
- Removed limitation on dragging the end margin. You can now drag the end margin over existing tabs and place and drag tabs beyond the end margin. Tabs are drawn dimmed when positioned beyond the end margin
- Fixed a problem that caused a long delay when starting to type with very large fonts containing private range characters (Code 2000 for example)
- Fixed a bug that caused the outline view to get scrolled vertically when clicking and dragging items inside
- Fixed a problem that caused shift+command+arrow strokes not to set the selection anchor, casing the following shift+arrow movements to move the wrong end of the selection
- Zero width joiner is now treated as an invisible character and not drawn
- Mellel will not crash when inserting TOC in documents containing “little people” autotitles
- When an autonumber is selected, inserting an autonumber from the palette or menu will simply replace the autonumber stream instead of inserting a new autonumber with “little people” as the title…
- Fixed a problem that caused the font menu to become unusable after switching into some rotten fonts
- Fixed a bug that caused character style variation attributes of the first character in a note to affect the note symbol and tab
- Fixed a bug that caused underline under elements like page numbers, variables and citations to be thicker then underline under normal text
- Fixed a bug that caused the document to be offset vertically by a few pixels causing the following phenomena:
- a few Pixels missing at the bottom (and a few extra at the top) causing footnotes to be cut at the bottom, especially when in compact view.
- Document “jumping” when clicking for the first time
- Scroll thumb not scrolling till the end of it’s slot
- Fixed a problem that caused the document view to vibrate horizontally sometimes when clicked for a while
- Fixed a problem that caused cell padding to be ignore by the paragraph ruler causing margin and tab display to be inaccurate.
- RTF Import: Fixed a bug that caused certain paragraph attributes like space above to be lost when importing numbered lists
- Fixed a bug that caused baseline shift to double when applied on elements such as page numbers, variables, citations etc
- Fixed a problem that caused typographer’s quotes not to “close” after a dash (hyphen, em dash, en dash etc.)
- When copying a pice of text that is less then a paragraph to other applications, list attributes are not included (Both styled and plain text copy)
- Tab leaders are now drawn aligned to the tab stop
- Fixed a bug that caused traditional chinese “Convert to simplified chinese” input method option not to work
- Fixed a bug that caused tables placed inside a center/right aligned paragraph to be positioned incorrectly in relation with the margin. This also caused some problems with the cursor rendering causing it to disappear and leave artifacts
- Fixed a problem that caused character attributes such as underline or baseline shift to affect entire tables
- Prevented insertion of page, page style, section and column breaks inside table cells, headers, footers and notes
- Fixed a bug that caused the some input method utility windows to be placed in the wrong location on the screen
- Fixed a bug that caused “next paragraph” style not to function when the previous paragraph is empty