Mellel’s Outline is a powerful tool for editing your document’s structure. In fact, you can do with it in five minutes things that will take you hours to accomplish with other word processors.
By using simple drag and drop actions, you can move sections from one place to the other, change the position of items in the document hierarchy, add and delete items, and much more.
Still not convinced? Take 5 minutes and try it out yourself!
As part of our life-long mission of making this world a better place, we’re offering you a free copy of the “Gentlemen’s Book of Etiquette and Manual of Politeness.”
This masterpiece encompasses valuable guidelines for how men should act to meet the standards of true gentlemen.
The only problem is, this book was published in 1860, so some changes are due…
In order to fix it, we would like to create a new chapter entitled OUTDATED and move some of the existing chapters under it – ETIQUETTE and MANLY EXERCISES. These chapters have multiple sub-chapters within them, and we want to maintain the current hierarchy in our new version, as well.
You opened Mellel? Lets begin!
Once you have Mellel installed, download and open your free copy of the “Gentlemen’s Book of Etiquette and Manual of Politness.”
Press Cmd + Shift + O to show the Outline (if it is not already shown), and browse the different Auto-titles. Pay particular attention to the multiple headings that exist under ETIQUETTE and MANY EXERCISES.
Now, let’s get to work – start your stopwatch and begin:
- Click the Go to End button at the bottom right corner of your Mellel window.
- Place your cursor at the end of the text.
- Press the Return key.
- Choose Insert > Auto-title > Heading 2 from the menu bar.
- Type OUTDATED.
- Press the Return key twice.
You should now have a new Auto-title called OUTDATED.
- Locate the new OUTDATED Auto-title in the the outline.
- Click on the ETIQUETTE Auto-title in the outline, then press and hold the Cmd button while clicking on the MANLY EXERCISES Auto-title in the outline.
- Click and drag the selected Auto-titles below the OUTDATED Auto-title in the outline until a black horizontal line is displayed. Then release to drop them into this new position.
All the Auto-titles you dragged and dropped (and any text that followed them in the document area) are now repositioned in the document. But they are still on the same level as the OUTDATED Auto-title. How do we change that? Easy.
- Select the ETIQUETTE Auto-title and click the Demote button in the Outline pane.
- Repeat step 10 with the MANLY EXERCISES Auto-title.
And you are done! How long did that take? You’ve just revamped the structure of this book in a matter of seconds, utilizing the basic functionalities Mellel’s Outline offers.
If you now scroll through the document you will see that the ETIQUETTE and MANLY EXERCISES Auto-titles were demoted to the next level in the Auto-titles hierarchy, and all of their sub-headings were changed as well to maintain the original hierarchy.
Feel free to give the same experiment a try with MS Word…. good luck!
Learn more about the Outline
We’ve developed over 70 videos and tutorials to help you enjoy and unlock Mellel’s magic. Visit our Resource Center. Check them out. Happy Writing.